[rpd] Some thoughts, and some actions required

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Feb 4 19:45:08 UTC 2016

> This is how AFRINIC defines LIR and End Users
>
> (*) Local Internet Registry (LIR): A Local Internet Registry (LIR) is
> an Internet Registry (IR) that receives allocations from AFRINIC and
> primarily sub-allocates or assigns address space to their customers.
> LIRs are generally ISPs.
> (**) End User (EU): Any entity, corporate or individual that receive
> services (Number Resources assignments) directly from AFRINIC for
> exclusive use on its own service infrastructure

Given that, there’s a big open question…

How does AfriNIC classify an organization that does not exclusively use the addresses received on its own infrastructure, but does so “mostly”. Said organization does distribute some of the addresses received (say as much as 35-40%) to customers or other external parties.

It seems to me that there’s a significant gap between “primarily sub-allocates” and “exclusively internal use” which remains undefined.

Most universities fall into that undefined space, hence the confusion.