[rpd] Re: [members-discuss] Board Chair and Vice Chair

Boubakar Barry Boubakar.Barry at wacren.net
Sat Jul 25 04:09:33 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 11:14 PM, Omo Oaiya <omo at wacren.net> wrote:

> On 24/07/2015 18:59, serge ilunga wrote:
> > Congratulations Chair and Vice chair.
> >
> > I would like to share with members some facts.
> >
> > I've observed that both chairman and vice chairman's terms expire at
> > same time that is next AGM in June 2016
> >
> > Though it may be unlikely that if none get reelected, common sense, good
> > practice and Business Continuity would suggest different way where at
> > least one of the two is on seat during  beyond June 2016.
> >
> > This also means that the chairs will have oversight of their own
> > election raising more accountability challenges.
> >
> > In the recent discussion about how previous chair and vice got swapped
> > during AFRINIC 21 ( November 2014), one of the reasons cited was for
> > smooth transition.
> >
> > It now appears that this has not been followed and openining a door to
> > not  following established principles .
> >

> > This might be a good reason to get the Governance Committee established
> > to advise on such cases.
> >

> These are all very pertinent reflections.  It is certainly good practice
> to arrange an overlap period to allow for good onboarding and knowledge
> transfer.  We should be working for better governance especially in the
> light of the situation we are in.

+1.

And we may also consider having Chair and Co-Chair elected for the duration
of their terms (or the rest of these); this would certainly contribute to a
more stable Board.
In my opinion, having these important functions open for election every
year is source of instability.

B.

> --
> Omo Oaiya
> CTO/Directeur Technique, WACREN
> Mobile: +234 806 4522778, +234 708 4410514
> Skype: kodion
> http://www.wacren.net

CEO/Directeur Général, WACREN
P.O. Box 5353 Dakar-Fann, Senegal
Mob.: +221 776390393 / +233 246682059
Web: http://www.wacren.net

***Keep it simple, as simple as possible, but not simpler. (A. Einstein)***