[rpd] Re: [members-discuss] Board Chair and Vice Chair

sylvain aboka baya abscoco2001 at yahoo.fr
Sat Jul 25 04:05:37 UTC 2015

Hi @ll,+1 Serge and OmoWe just have to improve our practices for the good standing of our Board and also our Community. We all are concerned by what's happen, both the Board's members, staff and the other members.
Regards,--sb

     Le Samedi 25 juillet 2015 0h29, Omo Oaiya <omo at wacren.net> a écrit :

On 24/07/2015 18:59, serge ilunga wrote:
> Congratulations Chair and Vice chair.
>
> I would like to share with members some facts.
>
> I've observed that both chairman and vice chairman's terms expire at
> same time that is next AGM in June 2016
>
> Though it may be unlikely that if none get reelected, common sense, good
> practice and Business Continuity would suggest different way where at
> least one of the two is on seat during  beyond June 2016.
>
> This also means that the chairs will have oversight of their own
> election raising more accountability challenges.
>
> In the recent discussion about how previous chair and vice got swapped
> during AFRINIC 21 ( November 2014), one of the reasons cited was for
> smooth transition.
>
> It now appears that this has not been followed and openining a door to
> not  following established principles .
>

> This might be a good reason to get the Governance Committee established
> to advise on such cases.

These are all very pertinent reflections.  It is certainly good practice
to arrange an overlap period to allow for good onboarding and knowledge
transfer.  We should be working for better governance especially in the
light of the situation we are in.

--
Omo Oaiya
CTO/Directeur Technique, WACREN