[rpd] Last Call - Resource Reservation for Internet Exchange Points

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Jun 18 05:50:10 UTC 2015

On 18/Jun/15 00:27, Owen DeLong wrote:
> Since we’re talking about resources for exchange points that don’t
> exist yet, I don’t see how your statement is relevant.
>
> I’m all for making life simpler for IXPs, but what I don’t want to do
> is promote expanding damage due to poor education. In this case, I
> believe that ASN ≤65535 issue is more likely the latter than the former.

Very likely. I was not in Tunis for the remainder of the conference
meeting, so did not listen to any comments on the proposal.

This is also an operational issue in service provider networks. Use of
the 16-bit low and high order values to convey BGP communities has made
it a practical problem of how this can be replicated when one uses the
same representation convention while in possession of a 32-bit ASN.

While there are a number of proposals around how this can work, at the
moment, the best solution I see is to decouple the ASN from the BGP
community. It is less-than-ideal, yes, but given that this is not
embedded router code, but rather, a community "understanding", we do not
really need to tie our hands if we don't have to.

Mark.