[AfriNIC-rpd] Definitions of LIR versus End User

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Jul 11 17:50:36 UTC 2012

Is there some reason that you believe the plain english definition of "end user" does not apply or is insufficient?

It is common in policy and law for terms which do not require specific meaning outside of or more specific than their plain language meanings to be left out of the policy-specific definitions.

For example, there is no definition for the term "bridge" in the California Vehicle Code, however there is a section of the code which prohibits parking on a bridge. I do not know of any history of someone complaining that said law is invalid because the term bridge is not defined within the vehicle code.

Common definitions of the term end user include:
	1.	The ultimate consumer of a product, especially the one for whom the product has been designed.
	2.	The person, organization, or nation that will be the ultimate recipient of goods or services.
	3.	The ultimate destination of information that is being transferred within a system or network.

It seems to me that any one of those, but most especially number 2 would be perfectly valid for interpretation of the policies in question.

Is there some reason that you believe those definitions are inadequate?

If not, then there is no problem and this is much ado about nothing.

Owen