[AfriNIC-rpd] Policy Proposal: End user classification for Universities

Andrew Alston alston.networks at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 17:44:34 UTC 2012

Aahh Seun,

Thank you for this, what you've said below actually helps.  See comments
inline.

> I think i need a few clarification on this as while i was with University
> of Nigeria, Nsukka(UNN). We requested for allocation and i could remember
> the words used when Afrinic finally approved (they said they will allocate
> /16 prefix - Extra Large End-USer). We were referred to as Extra Large
> End-user, in this case i would think that space is large enough and
> normally should be classified as LIR. So if i may ask from what allocation
> exactly does Afrinic starts classifying institutional block request as LIR?

I have to wonder this as well, since AfriNIC simply insists that this is an
LIR, but as of yet still hasn't given clear justification for this.  The
university in question has requested a /15, with immediate use of over 70%
of the block for internal use, but apparently they are still an LIR and the
reasoning I have been given as of yet unofficially is that universities
have faculties, and these often operate autonomously.  I protested this to
no avail, even pointing out that no faculty has its own IT department.

>>   This amounts to AfriNIC putting institutions in a position where they
>> are forced to utilize NAT, which is to their disadvantage, if they do not
>> wish to pay LIR fees.
>>

> With a /16 for a institution like UNN, i don't think NAT will be required.
>
> Unfortunately with this institution a /16 would force NAT, no question
about it.  The IP addressing plan made this extremely clear.

> [3.2] Where a university was connecting schools, or affiliated
> institutions, the institution would still be classified as an LIR, and
> assignment of PI space to such by a university would be prohibited
>

> I think this part is not clear, why will assignment of PI space be
> prohibited? A scenario; again UNN which is multi-campus, the /16 were
> allocated was requested based on plan that it will be shared across the
> campuses. Does that make us a LIR? I think we are still an End user. Maybe
> the scenario you are painting is applicable with institution acting as
> RENs. In view of this, Perhaps 3.2 can then be edited as thus:
>

> [3.2(V1)] Where a institution "Acting as a REN" was connecting schools, or
> affiliated institutions, the "REN acting institution" would still be
> classified as an LIR, and assignment of PI space to such by a connecting
> university would be prohibited

I included this because here I can see AfriNIC's case, assignment of space
by a university to an external legal entity is acting as an LIR, though I
would agree, at that point the university is in some way acting as an
educational network.  Irrespective that makes them an LIR.  I would
hesitate though to refer to any university as a REN, because that opens a
whole other can of worms :)  But that point is something we could
definitely discuss.

> [3.3] Where a university had an autonomous faculty that was independent of
> central IT, the faculty themselves would have to apply for membership and
> PI space, or alternatively the university would have to apply for LIR
> status.
>

> I don't think there is need for this, such faculty should ask for
> allocation from the "IT department" space, the IT department is not acting
> on his own, it is on behalf of the university and it is expected that when
> they made request its justification was based on the faculties and general
> campus users

The reason behind this is to cover such cases as faculties that are
ENTIRELY independent, but again, I tend to agree with you here and would be
happy to remove it.  This was added almost as a compromise solution to deal
with departments within universities who acted with total autonomy, their
own IT departments, their own internet connections.  I don't actually know
of any such cases, but hey, they might exist.

> [3.4] Under this policy, it is proposed that universities would, as part
> of the application criteria for resources, have to acknowledge in writing
> that they are not providing such resources to other autonomous entities.
>

> This i think should be agreement signed by any other ISP if this is to be
> implemented(jokes). But in the real sense does it matter whether the
> university allocate part of her space to someone else or not?
>
> It does if it makes them an LIR :)

Thanks for your comments.

Andrew