[AfriNIC-rpd] Re: PDP transition to AFPUB-2010-GEN-005

Alan Barrett apb at cequrux.com
Tue Nov 23 07:48:23 UTC 2010

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010, McTim wrote:
> Unfortunately, ratification of this proposal occurred less than 2
> weeks before a PPM.
>
> Generally, elections of this type take a minimum of 35 days to
> organise, as can be seen here:
>
> http://www.afrinic.net/elections/process/ep_pdpmg.htm
>
> The feedback I am getting from the rest of the NomCom is that a
> legitimate election
> can't be organised in the next week.
>
> Since the policy only takes effect at AfriNIC-13, then the first
> possible opportunity
> to hold an election will be AfriNIC-14

It seems to me that the policy has been approved by the community, and
ratified by the Board, and so it should be implemented.  The policy
itself talks about its own implementation date, and that date is part of
what was approved and ratified, and what must be implemented.

I understand that the NomCom doesn't want to hold an election on
such short notice, but I think that we must do something.  I see
several options, none of which is very good.  Here are some of the

  A) Fully implement the new process right now, including holding
     elections at very short notice for one co-chair to serve a two-year
     term and for another co-chair to serve one-year term.

     + fully complies with the policy as written and approved;
     - elections organised at such short notice are problematic.

  B) Implement the new process right now in all respects except the
     election of the co-chairs.  Instead of electing co-chairs for
     one-year and two-year terms, elect two interim co-chairs for
     6-month terms.  Hold another election at the AfriNIC-14 meeting in
     2011, for one co-chair to serve a two-year term and for another
     co-chair to serve one-year term.

     + almost complies with the policy as written and approved;
     + enough time to organise a fair election in 2011.
     - we also have an interim election organised at short notice,
       but the problem is mitigated by the short 6-month terms.

  C) Let the old process continue for another 6 months, and implement
     the new process with effect from the AfriNIC-14 meeting in 2011.

     + enough time to organise a fair election in 2011;
     - does not comply with the policy as written and approved.

I favour option A or B.

--apb (Alan Barrett)