[AfriNIC-rpd] Re: PDP transition to AFPUB-2010-GEN-005

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Nov 23 08:05:20 UTC 2010

>  A) Fully implement the new process right now, including holding
>     elections at very short notice for one co-chair to serve a two-year
>     term and for another co-chair to serve one-year term.
>
>     + fully complies with the policy as written and approved;
>     - elections organised at such short notice are problematic.
>
>  B) Implement the new process right now in all respects except the
>     election of the co-chairs.  Instead of electing co-chairs for
>     one-year and two-year terms, elect two interim co-chairs for
>     6-month terms.  Hold another election at the AfriNIC-14 meeting in
>     2011, for one co-chair to serve a two-year term and for another
>     co-chair to serve one-year term.
>
>     + almost complies with the policy as written and approved;
>     + enough time to organise a fair election in 2011.
>     - we also have an interim election organised at short notice,
>       but the problem is mitigated by the short 6-month terms.
>
>  C) Let the old process continue for another 6 months, and implement
>     the new process with effect from the AfriNIC-14 meeting in 2011.
>
>     + enough time to organise a fair election in 2011;
>     - does not comply with the policy as written and approved.

I have no dog in this fight, but, I will offer a fourth possibility which
may or may not be seen as an improvement. I encourage the
community to consider. I neither support nor oppose any of
the above suggestions, nor my proposed fourth alternative.

D) Implement the ne process right now in all aspects except the
	election of the co-chairs. Instead of electing co-chairs immediately,
	have the board appoint interim co-chairs to serve until the
	conclusion of successful elections at AfriNIC-14 in 2011
	for two co-chairs, the one with the most votes getting a
	two year term and the next most votes getting a one year
	term.

	+ very nearly complies wit the policy as written.
	+ enough time to organize a fair election in 2011
	+ does not require a hasty election in 2010
	- we have interim co-chairs appointed by the board which
	may be a minor subversion of the intended policy process.