[AfriNIC-rpd] Re: Return of Policy Proposal RPD Mailinglist: Abuse Contact Information in the AfriNIC Service Region

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Jul 6 17:45:45 UTC 2010

I think it's a bad idea.  It's way more complication (from the ISP/end user
perspective) than is required.  In short, this is using a sledge hammer to
swat at mosquitos.

As in real life, this rarely kills the mosquito, but, often leaves a great many
holes in walls.

By making this mandatory, you will increase the cruft-level in the database
rather than reduce it. By requiring an entire additional object which contains
a significant amount of duplicated data from other objects, you will create
a data-integrity and maintenance problem. Even people that want to
comply and do the "right thing" will likely lose track of the association of
the various objects and the need to constantly update multiple objects.

That's why it's better to maintain contacts in "Contact" objects and
have "Organization" objects with contact fields that point to "Contact"
objects. Resource objects should have contact fields which either
inherit from the Organization object (default) or can have their own
override pointers to "Contact" objects.

I am not a stakeholder in this region, so, you are welcome to take or leave
my advice. However, it is my not so humble opinion that down this road
lies madness.

Owen

I will now attempt to return to lurker mode.