[AfriNIC-rpd] Re: Return of Policy Proposal RPD Mailinglist: Abuse Contact Information in the AfriNIC Service Region

Tobias Knecht tk at abusix.org
Tue Jul 6 11:51:15 UTC 2010

Hello again,

>> Are there any questions about the intent of this policy proposal?
>
> I am curious as to why you are still pushing this obviously unwanted
> idea?  How does this help your working model/biz model?

Because it is needed! And it is not changing our working model/biz model
in either way. It is helping the idea of "Global Reporting" and it's
helping the idea of collaboration between ISPs and network owners.

I'm pushing this idea, because I'm certain about it. I have seen that
collaboration works, that Global Reporting works, that publishing the
correct abuse handling contacts and handling the incoming abuse
complaints helps network owners to clean up their network.

In addition I have not heard any arguments that told me it is a bad
idea, quite the contrary. And the argument we have done it that way for
the last 15 years is not an argument, it's an excuse for doing nothing.

So I'm absolutely happy to hear your arguments about this proposal and
discuss with you and any other person why it is important to implement
this proposal.

> I still think you are ignoring the realities of object creation in the
> AfriNIC region (we don't do it for the most part, even when we
> should).

Just because it is like it is at the moment does first of all not imply
that it is good. And in addition it does not imply that it has to be
that way in future.

Thanks,

Tobias

--