[AfriNIC-rpd] Re: Policy section of the meeting (was: 15-Day Last Call Period: IPv4 Softlanding Policy Proposal)

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Sat Jun 26 16:54:11 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-06-26 at 03:57 -0700, sm+afrinic at elandsys.com wrote:
> Hi Mark,
> At 00:36 26-06-10, Mark Elkins wrote:
> >Though I do think more time could be spent on the Policy section of the
> >meeting.
>
> Agreed.
>
> I have been discussing about the Policy section of the meeting with
> Vincent.  If anyone has suggestions about that, please email them to
> the PDP-MG.

I'm wondering if anyone noticed I posted at the bottom of a reply....
Just to repeat:-

It was pointed out - if you take the total number of members as being
about 1000 (www.afrinic.net/statistics/member_stats.htm) and gave each
member four /23's - there would still be lots of space left.

Then again - this policy will probably only be in effect in about 3
years time (minimum 2 years),

It may make sense before then to re-visit the policy and either:-

1 - Change the '/23' to something like a '/22' (or '/21') - leaving
everything else as is....

-and/or-

2 - Change the '/8' policy to only kick in when - using the existing
policies - either an allocation or assignment will touch the last
'/10' (or '/11')  of (contiguous?) space left of this last '/8', deny
that request and proceed with the policy as is.

...but the fundamentals are pretty much fine.

Leaving this policy as is for 12 or 18 months will help the crystal ball
become clearer. Changing some small parts of this policy (fine tuning)
should not be such a challenge as it has been getting this particular
policy into place. I still thus wish it to go through as is for now -
unless someone were to add a 'fine-tuning' clause in order to be able to
implement the suggestions made above.

--
  .  .     ___. .__      Posix Systems - Sth Africa.  e.164 VOIP ready
 /| /|       / /__       mje at posix.co.za  -  Mark J Elkins, Cisco CCIE