[AfriNIC-rpd] abuse contact information in whois database (AFPUB-2010-GEN-002)

Tobias Knecht tk at abusix.com
Sun May 30 17:19:04 UTC 2010

Hi

> <snip>
>> think this might the right way. So why should this not be the right way
>> for Africa?
>>
>> So please tell what exactly feels wrong with the irt object for you.
>
> IMHO, we need to get the African LIRs up to speed on the necessity of
> making assignments correctly in the Db first.

Okay, than there should be a policy proposal which is looking at these
problems and force LIRs to handle their stuff in the right way. That is
absolutely fine and I will support this proposal as well.

But this has nothing to do with this proposal. This proposal is
addressing the need for a dedicated abuse contact object.

> For example, I just did a -M on the block my current IP comes from,
> and I get no assignments listed for the entire /17.
>
> Adding complexity at this point seems rather pointless.

It is not pointless, because there are good LIRs out there. They wanna
have a dedicated object and it would be unfair to punish them for others
LIRs behavior.

IMHO you should write another proposal forcing LIRs to do the right
thing, but that has absolutely nothing to do with this proposal.

Thanks,

Tobias