[AfriNIC-rpd] abuse contact information in whois database (AFPUB-2010-GEN-002)

SM sm at resistor.net
Mon May 31 05:09:28 UTC 2010

Hi Tobias,
At 10:19 AM 5/30/2010, Tobias Knecht wrote:
>Okay, than there should be a policy proposal which is looking at these
>problems and force LIRs to handle their stuff in the right way. That is
>absolutely fine and I will support this proposal as well.

I doubt that a proposal forcing LIRs to handle stuff would gain acceptance.

>But this has nothing to do with this proposal. This proposal is
>addressing the need for a dedicated abuse contact object.

Quoting the proposal:

   "Currently within the AfriNIC region, the growing amount of abuse reports
    are sent to e-mail address specified in the e-mail field, as encouraged
    on the AfriNIC website."

There has been questions such as:

    "How can a barely noticeable island hundreds of miles east of Madagascar
     have a Cyber Tower or Cyber City which is an Internet hub for the
     entire African continent?"

I suggest looking at the various Whois implementations and see
whether they follow the referral.

Regards,
-sm