[AfriNIC-rpd] Proposal for Policy Development Process in the AfriNIC service region

sm+afrinic at elandsys.com sm+afrinic at elandsys.com
Sat Mar 27 09:44:22 UTC 2010

At 14:01 26-03-10, Randy Bush wrote:
>i think your characterization is a bit inaccurate and pejorative.  there
>is a talent in organizational structuring, the balance of formal control
>and structure with informality.  at the left extreme, we have classic
>military organizations.  at the other extreme we have six hippies trying
>to cooperatively build a fire.

There is a balance to be achieved between an informal process and a
rule-based process.  Too many rules constrain a process.  It creates
a rigid structure and can cause more problems.  The informal process
works because there is an existing practice.  Mistakes can
happen.  That might not be problem because the informality allows
people to work things out.  I don't think that Alain was suggesting
the extreme.

Randy Bush mentioned that he preferred not to comment on the policy
proposal itself.  As he is an APNIC policy chair, it would have been
helpful to the discussion if he did comment.  He mentioned some
points which deserves further discussion.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy