[AfriNIC-rpd] Policy Development Process in the AfriNIC service region

sm+afrinic at elandsys.com sm+afrinic at elandsys.com
Sat Jan 23 09:53:21 UTC 2010

Hi walu,
At 05:10 22-01-10, Walubengo J wrote:
>ave looked at your proposal (AFPUB-2009-GEN-001) and within the
>context of the last AfriNIC meeting in Dakar where some Policies
>were discussed and gaps within the Policy Processes noted, i do
>believe your proposal can go a long way in addressing some of the gaps.

Although the incentive is to fill those gaps, it would not be
constructive to describe them in the document.

Section 3 could be seen as the social contract.  That is sometimes
part of the unwritten agreement we adhere to.  Some of you may wonder
what all this have to do with IP address distribution.  Let's say
that you have a pool of IPv4 addresses.  The pool is a finite number,
i.e. there isn't enough to satisfy every request.  Country X and Y
both have a population of ten million.  Country X has been allocated
786,432 IP addresses and Country Y has 4,096 IP addresses.  Given the
huge disparity, should you favor allocation requests from Country
Y?  Who gets to decide?  The process sets the environment for you to
decide on what the answer should be.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy