[Community-Discuss] AFRINIC Borad Elections

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Jul 4 02:31:05 UTC 2019

I spend 20% of my e-mail time unsubscribing from lists I was signed on,
that I have zero clue about. I don't wonder how my e-mail address was
obtained (I mean, I could guess since Google'ing myself actually returns
a usable result), but I just don't have the time.

A further 10% of my e-mail time is ignoring Linkedin requests for people
I don't know and have no immediate connection with. I've found many of
those are just trying to grow their network, sell you something, or both.

I spend another 10% of my time ignoring and deleting e-mails from
companies that join industry meetings simply to sell you attendee lists
or to sell you airtime with other participants. ITW, PTC, Capacity * are
all victims of this, and this has now spread to our beloved NOG community.

I again spend another 7% of my e-mail time just ignoring or deleting
what I term "improper" correspondence. This has, in the past, included
e-mails from people asking me to vote a certain way for a number of
elections, all over the world, for a number of organizations (within and
outside of our industry). If I find the way in which you reached out to
me for this, especially if I don't know you, I just delete the e-mail
and move on. If I know you and feel you can do well for the community,
I'll advise you about doing better.

I then spend another 3% of my e-mail time ignoring discussions that
aren't going anywhere.

That leaves 50% of my e-mail time to do something actually constructive.
That's not a lot, in the grand scheme of things.

If we throw everyone in the slammer and not teach them how to do better,
we won't have anyone left to throw in the slammer or teach about how to
do better.

Bottom line, you can either spend your 24hrs in a day advancing a
meaningful objective, or not. I do a lot more of the former. Time on
this earth is limited... if I were drop dead right now, the mailboxes I
leave behind will still be half full of just nonsense.

Mark.