[Community-Discuss] AFRINIC Borad Elections

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Wed Jul 3 22:39:03 UTC 2019

Hi Noah,

I’m sure we all have contacts from lots of people from the community, but we use those contacts for the reason they have been provided, is not lawful to use those for anything else.

The point here is that even if I’ve your email because we have contected about operational issues of our networks (for example), I can use your email for selling you “fruits” or “a car” or “convince you about what candidates to the board you should vote”.

In fact, according to the GDPR (and in many countries even before the GDPR), if I’ve your email because you’re my customer for shoes, and tomorrow I setup a shop for fish, I can’t use your email for that. If instead of shoes it is clothes, it may depend on the original data that was provided about my business when you registered for the shoes. However, definitively I can’t use your email for sending you a support request for my prefered board candidates.

Anyway, there is a simple answer to all that. Can Ahmed, who send the original email, confirm if he provided it to the sender, for elections information or something else ?

Can other folks who got that email, confirm if they have provided it?

With just a few responses, we will be able to understand if that was part of an allowed communication or there is data protection issue.

Regards,

Jordi

@jordipalet