Marcus K. G. Adomey
madomey at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 11 16:32:27 UTC 2017
If you are confused with the stand of the community, it means that you are out of the community orbit. This community seems to know what matters and folks they can follow
Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>
From: Andrew Alston <Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 2:39:28 PM
To: General Discussions of AFRINIC
Subject: [Community-Discuss] Confusion...
I decided to post this, because I am getting more and more confused by this community every day.
1. This community cried for transparency – in response – they got the board minutes. As I have pointed out in previous emails – those minutes do not contain all the information – and in fact, under the Mauritian code of corporate governance, the minutes of committee meetings should also be published to create full transparency which is not happening. I have raised this on the list – the community has remained silent – this makes me question if it was really transparency this community was looking for – or was it ammunition for perceived wrongs in the past?
2. This community is confronted with legal opinion – that clearly and demonstrably shows that policy proposals put the organisation at risk – yet members of this community continue to insist we ignore those concerns and proceed anyway – in what would be a direct violation of the directors fiduciary duties were they to pass it, yet the same community insisted on the creation of a governance committee to ensure that AfriNIC was acting within the bounds of solid corporate governance – this is a contradiction in terms
3. In the Mauritian meeting – the community was faced with 20 special resolutions – they chose to vote against the vast majority of those – despite having it clearly explained that those resolutions were largely tabled after a review about areas that need to be fixed.
* To illustrate this point – one of those resolutions would have bound a sitting director to returning his company membership when his directorship expired – and while this was standard practice, the voting down of this special resolution has now created a serious problem – should a director leaving the board refuse to return his company membership – there is now a vote – from this community – affirming the fact that he has no obligation to do so. In effective – voting that down legitimized a director holding onto his registered membership status into perpetuity. I might point out that the rights and powers of a registered member also *FAR* outstrip the actual legal rights of any normal member.
4. For years I sat and watched this community attack the board over the financials – yet – now – when questions are asked specifically for detailed information that is highly relevant to the organisations financials – the same people who attacked for so long – sit silent and have not a word to say – again – is this because they weren’t actually after financial transparency and were simply looking for ammunition? Or is there another reason for it?
Basically – what I see is various members of this community that want to make selective demands on the company and the board – when it suits them – when they need ammunition for whatever agenda they are pursuing – but once that agenda fades – they go completely silent.
What I am saying is – if we want a fully functional RIR and a board that is subject to this community who elects them - the only way we can do that is to be consistent with our message and communicate clearly and without ambiguity – rather than simply sending our messages when it suits us.
Really – I am deeply confused by what I am seeing from members of this community – and I’d really like to better understand it.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Community-Discuss