badru.ntege at nftconsult.com
Wed Jul 12 06:23:36 UTC 2017
Some of my comments will be directed to you in this response since your submission was directed at the community
Sent from my iPhone
On 11 Jul 2017, at 17:41, Andrew Alston <Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com<mailto:Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com>> wrote:
I decided to post this, because I am getting more and more confused by this community every day.
1. This community cried for transparency – in response – they got the board minutes. As I have pointed out in previous emails – those minutes do not contain all the information – and in fact, under the Mauritian code of corporate governance, the minutes of committee meetings should also be published to create full transparency which is not happening. I have raised this on the list – the community has remained silent – this makes me question if it was really transparency this community was looking for – or was it ammunition for perceived wrongs in the past?
even the community has its limits. When the people we elected to serve us suddenly become our masters we save our energies and wait to remove them through the ballot we hoped board would give us a fresh leadership out of the 9 members they have but we got the status quo again
2. This community is confronted with legal opinion – that clearly and demonstrably shows that policy proposals put the organisation at risk – yet members of this community continue to insist we ignore those concerns and proceed anyway – in what would be a direct violation of the directors fiduciary duties were they to pass it, yet the same community insisted on the creation of a governance committee to ensure that AfriNIC was acting within the bounds of solid corporate governance – this is a contradiction in terms
With all respect legal opinion can be subjective. It was the board actions that prompted the need for a governance committee. We might not want to re open those pages but I'm sure you understand
2. In the Mauritian meeting – the community was faced with 20 special resolutions – they chose to vote against the vast majority of those – despite having it clearly explained that those resolutions were largely tabled after a review about areas that need to be fixed.
* To illustrate this point – one of those resolutions would have bound a sitting director to returning his company membership when his directorship expired – and while this was standard practice, the voting down of this special resolution has now created a serious problem – should a director leaving the board refuse to return his company membership – there is now a vote – from this community – affirming the fact that he has no obligation to do so. In effective – voting that down legitimized a director holding onto his registered membership status into perpetuity. I might point out that the rights and powers of a registered member also *FAR* outstrip the actual legal rights of any normal member.
More reason to compel the Mauritius authorities our hosts to create a special category for AfriNIC or find a jurisdiction that will we have over 50 options.
By the way Andrew have you rescinded your membership???
2. For years I sat and watched this community attack the board over the financials – yet – now – when questions are asked specifically for detailed information that is highly relevant to the organisations financials – the same people who attacked for so long – sit silent and have not a word to say – again – is this because they weren’t actually after financial transparency and were simply looking for ammunition? Or is there another reason for it?
Are we reading the same mailing list ???
Basically – what I see is various members of this community that want to make selective demands on the company and the board – when it suits them – when they need ammunition for whatever agenda they are pursuing – but once that agenda fades – they go completely silent.
What I am saying is – if we want a fully functional RIR and a board that is subject to this community who elects them - the only way we can do that is to be consistent with our message and communicate clearly and without ambiguity – rather than simply sending our messages when it suits us.
Really – I am deeply confused by what I am seeing from members of this community – and I’d really like to better understand it.
So Andrew your submission over the last few years is that you went to the board to deliver transparency and one of your relection claims were that you are the one that brought out the transparency. Are you telling us that the day you left the board did a complete U turn on all your good work ??
Community-Discuss mailing list
Community-Discuss at afrinic.net<mailto:Community-Discuss at afrinic.net>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Community-Discuss