[Community-Discuss] [members-discuss] Resolution 201604.274 about Set-Up fees

Noah noah at neo.co.tz
Sat Jul 16 16:42:08 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 11:27 AM, Alan Barrett <alan.barrett at afrinic.net>
wrote:

> [replying only on community list and members-discuss]
>
> > On 14 Jul 2016, at 11:29, Noah <noah at neo.co.tz> wrote:
> >

> What problem are we solving?  (a) When the fee structure was defined in
> 2004, these once-off fees were intended to be once per allocation or
> assignment, but somehow in the intervening years they were implemented
> inconsistently, which was a mistake that should be corrected.  (b) Some
> members were paying for their requests to be evaluated, and some were not
> (depending on whether they were an end user or an LIR, and depending on
> whether it was their first request or a subsequent request), which was
> unfair on both AFRINIC and the members who were paying.

Hi Alan,

So I have taken some time and In reviewing the previous fee structure, I am
wondering why it was regarded as a mistake?

As far as I have seen, I believe the intention was not to bill once per
allocation or assignment.

1. LIR's pay annual membership fees (much more higher than end-users) and
service fee within categories they get resources.

The higher fees cover subsequent allocation costs and support AFRINIC
mission.

2. End users (mainly corporate networks) pay a lower membership fee because
they are usually not engaged with AFRINIC and benefit very little from
AFRINIC's direct awareness and other programs. And End users get charged
assignment fees for the resources they are use.

*PS: We don't need to mix Assignments and Allocations to start with.  *

There is no need to charge LIRs additional money for subsequent allocations
(remember LIR's do their assignment themselves and we cannot charge for
that) if we keep their membership fees higher than the End-Users (because
we charge End Users for additional assignments).

If we create an additional allocation fee then logically we should bring
all membership fees (EU and LIRs) to the same level.

That would create a serious imbalance and a bigger financial problem.

Mixing these two and saying the fees were inconsistently applied is
misleading. The fees information was clear about this.

(c) AFRINIC needs more revenue, and correcting this past mistake is a
simple way of gaining a small increase in revenue.

We all want more revenue for AFRINIC but not by fixing what isn’t broken at
the expense of the community.

> Alan Barrett

Noah