[AfrICANN-discuss] .Africa project communique (Task force)

Badru Ntege (NFT) badru.ntege at nftconsult.com
Mon Nov 15 09:51:39 SAST 2010

My comments in line

Dear Badru ,McTeam-

Thanks for your comments on DCA.

Sorry, my comments are a bit long, but DCA's perpective had to be told.

You see Badru, DCA did not only bring a .africa proposal to AU and many others, which you seem to think is the only propriety we have. No it is not, given that AU and ECA and many others endorsed us and gave us the same, mandate to pursue the effort, DCA has built a business around it.  We have set the tone, created the theme, have many generation.africa followings who appreciate and follow our mission and vision.

[]

As an individual /entreprenuar it is everyone right to follow an initiative they feel will become a profitable venture however we cannot divorce the environment and society that we exist in.  The initiative might be of value to the stakeholders and in their view they might also have a perceived  value for the community but we all have to agree that all that is subjective.   The community in this case must be able to see the value from their perspective and we must be prepared to accept that at times your perceived value to the community will not be the same in their eyes.

I would not say that any efforts out there should not be combined, but DCA has put the efforts and spent a lot of money and time to satisfy its mandate and we are in the company of great followings.

[]

Granted but this does not give DCA an automatic right to what is a continental resource.

What I suggest is that we really must all make an effort to present a fair and unbiased view to the community of what we know and be careful not to "misinform" in support of one group or another.  This has happened as you now in recent technical forums, which you know about.

[]

Known as the negative side effect of lobbying

You mentioned ICANN wants a proposal with community acceptance.  I always felt that some who have been involved in the close knit group of ICANN have narrowly defined the "African community" to be themselves. which is incorrect.  Unfortunately that is not the case, there are 1B people out there that are considered "communities" for Africa.  So that is my answer to you.  Who represents these people and why do we speak on their behalf?  Who has made the effort of inclusion towards this end.

[]

Somehow some way these 1B people all have governments which have all endorsed the AU as a continental body.  I would think this earns the AU some kind of right to handle an issue like this.

To shade additional light to what ICANN guide book says, for geographic names, the approval for the license comes from governments and not the technical community. It only refers that it is good if the "organization is known by the communities".   Additionally it says, any rejection by a minimum 2 governments will stop the process, no need to go further.  That equally applies for AU application if they in fact decide to go forward.  We do not need ICANN to do the rejection for us.

[]

Getting mixed messages here.  If DCA is professing that it is planning to work for the benefit of the community and not private value then why the sprited fight against a continental body that would be the best conduit to serve and reach the entire African community

ICANN, despite McTim's comments have not right to reject an application based on competition.  It is a bid system they set up themselves, so ICANN should and will encourage competition, that is the whole idea behind bidding, seletion of the best proposal.  Therefore, Africa should solve its own issues, as for ICANN will not stop any competition.  Its position is to select a proposal that meets the stated requirement.  So Africa should not combine its proposal because of fear of rejection by ICANN, as that is not true, we should combine it because it is good for Africa, understanding the facts on our own ground.

[]

On the other hand competition is also good

Therefore, from where I stand, I do not think the  decision of .africa issue will be influenced by the technical community, as it is also not a technical project only, despite we all want to thinks so.  It is political, perhaps it has always been, so I would leave it at that.

[]

Everything is political even the technical community has elements of politics.

Also, from my point of view, it is a fact that the African Union can not get in commercial activities of domain name, as they do not have a mandate over it, even if they have asked for it.  Maybe one needs to understand the role of our continental organization.  That said, from what I see of the current framed picture, they are the smoke screen behind whoever wants to do .africa.  Therefore, to answer to your comment Badru, Whoever is behind the frame should be joining what has already started and not reinvent the wheel.  As it has been said many time, all is fair in love and war, so DCA will continue to execute its mandate and satisfy ICANN's requirement.

[]

Fare comment but this goes back to my original email.  I think the best way forward should be for all parties to clearly state either they are in for the money or in it for the good of the African internet community.  Ultimately one winner will emerge but my concern is the wasted opportunities through unnecessary infighting.

I am sorry my comment were too long as well, but hope this helps to clarify matters from our perspective as well as overall facts.

Respectfully,