[rpd] AFRINIC PDWG Co-Chair Selection Timeframe

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu May 12 19:54:51 UTC 2022

> On May 11, 2022, at 21:05 , Fernando Frediani <fhfrediani at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 11/05/2022 20:57, Owen DeLong via RPD wrote:
>> <clip>
>>
>> To the best of my knowledge, all of the fellows we sponsored were left to make their own opinion and the information and training provided to them was fair and unbiased focused primarily on facts and fair summaries of the list debate that had occurred prior to the meetings. Indeed, even our opponents admitted that the information packet was not biased.
>
> Is it serious you are defending that because some fellows have received some information and training prior to an event most of them probably had never heard about before and where probably most of them never ever participated on this email list discussions, that would enough for them to enter into a room and vote for people who would take the charge to decide such critical things that outcomes from this forum we all participate ?

I am defending that the process as currently documented allows those present in the room to elect the co-chairs.

I make no value judgments as to whether that process is particularly good or bad, but I do point out that it should not be changed ad hoc or arbitrarily and that there is a defined process for changing it through the PDP.

> I am just unable to comment or explain how absurd that is.

There are many things you find absurd that I think are perfectly rational. OTOH, you seem to find rationality in many things I find absurd.

Nonetheless, if you think that the current process as documented in the PDP is absurd, then you should submit a proposal to change it and try to gain consensus around that proposal.

My point is that I think it is far less reprehensible to bring in IT students and teach them about the processes involved in internet governance and encourage them to participate in those processes (Kampala, et. seq.) than it is to bring in people not even in the IT field and having no desire to participate in the processes merely to show up and vote (Dakar, Nairobi).

I do find it interesting that Arnaud and Gregoire fail to mention those latter events (which actually occurred prior to Kampala).