[rpd] Summary of Proposal AFRINIC Number Resources Transfer Policy AFPUB-2020-GEN-006-DRAFT02

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Jan 7 20:28:19 UTC 2022

> On Jan 6, 2022, at 06:09 , Gregoire EHOUMI via RPD <rpd at afrinic.net> wrote:
>
> Dear Jordi,
>
> Can we please stop replaying discussions? It does not help especially when it brings no new perspectives and elements.
>
> Inter-RIR policy did not follow the global policy path and each RIR defining its own rules for compatibility and reciprocity.

Global policy path is only for policies instructing ICANN (in its IANA functions role) how to interact with the RIRs. It is not applicable
or useful for RIR<->RIR transfers, so this statement is largely immaterial.

> AFRINIC did nothing new except than defining and accepting rules which protect its best interests while accepting other RIRs constraints.

AFRINIC hasn’t done anything yet. Further, there is debate still as to whether this proposal actually protects the best interests of AFRINIC,
its members, or its community. Additionally, this proposal hasn’t yet been accepted. There are still material objections being raised.
The co-chairs disregard for those objections notwithstanding, it still hasn’t been ratified by the board, so claiming that the rules have
been defined and accepted is erroneous at best.