[rpd] Co-Chair Recall Policy Proposal: Impact Assessment & Summary of Objections

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Nov 16 14:47:22 UTC 2021

> On Nov 15, 2021, at 18:01 , Fernando Frediani <fhfrediani at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 15/11/2021 19:19, Owen DeLong wrote:
>> <clip>
>>
>> If you don’t like the election, how about having all community members willing to serve on the committee toss their names in a hat and 5 names are selected at random.
> Functions of the PDWG should not be a lucky contest where any random people can perform a role.
> Instead people should be chosen by their competence and knowledge to the task and not all community members may have this necessary knowledge and skills. Put on the top of that that a random person with a big conflict of interest may be can be drawn which puts in danger a vital part of the PDWG.

A person with a big CoI may be chosen by the board, too. The only way to handle CoI is to have rules about it and then hope people are honest about their disclosures of same.

> The way it is at least remains in the hands of the Board supported by the staff the function to filter and make sure only those who have the skills and no conflict of interest can perform such task.

Since the board is the final arbiter of policy adoption (or not), the board has an inherent CoI in the process.

Especially given the way they’ve put their thumbs on the scale with the appeal committee recently, we need to be giving the board less, not more power in the PDP/PDWG process(es).

Owen