[rpd] [Community-Discuss] [members-discuss] Unaddressed queries by AFRINIC during AGMM

Daniel Yakmut yakmutd at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 6 15:07:20 UTC 2021

I am at this point utterly flabbergasted that response to simple
questions will require a webinar. I thought direct answers would have
been given to the questions first. Subsequently, if there are
clarifications to be made, a webinar opportunity could be utilize to
further give light to grey areas that have not been clear by the earlier
response to the questions.

But, to plan to use a webinar to handle such situations, creates an
atmosphere of suspicion. We can do well if we do not give such impressions.

Simply,

Daniel

On 05/08/2021 11:11 pm, Owen DeLong via RPD wrote:

> How about just providing simple text answers to the questions? I don’t

> think webinars are necessary. I think that the questions need to be

> addressed and that there is really no difficulty to do so in text.

> Owen

>> On Aug 5, 2021, at 06:03 , AFRINIC Communication <comms at afrinic.net

>> <mailto:comms at afrinic.net>> wrote:

>> Dear Mr Wollner,

>> This is a follow-up to our previous response to you regarding questions.

>> We have planned to address these questions through a series of

>> webinars. However, these AFRINIC webinar series that we started on 19

>> July 2021

>> (https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/announce/2021/002306.html

>> <https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/announce/2021/002306.html>) have

>> since been put on hold for now due to ongoing matters.

>> We shall communicate the new dates for the webinar series in due course.

>> Regards,

>> AFRINIC Communications

>>> On 3 Aug 2021, at 13:33, Paul Wollner

>>> <paul.wollner at africaoncloud.net

>>> <mailto:paul.wollner at africaoncloud.net>> wrote:

>>> Dear AFRINIC,

>>> It has been just over a month now since the mail below was sent and

>>> I feel that we still do not have any direct answer on the 4

>>> questions that were raised.

>>> Can we please get a clearcut answer from AFRINIC on these questions?

>>> Regards

>>> Paul Wollner

>>> ---- On Fri, 02 Jul 2021 14:24:05 +0200 Paul Wollner

>>> <paul.wollner at africaoncloud.net

>>> <mailto:paul.wollner at africaoncloud.net>> wrote ----

>>> Mr. Kayihura,

>>> I refer to your email dated 30 June 2021.

>>> In it, you claim that Questions 1 to 3 were addressed during the

>>> open mic session held on 4 June 2021.

>>> The reality is that none of those questions were satisfactorily

>>> answered. They were addressed to the extent that the questions were

>>> acknowledged, then an attempt was made to obfuscate them and answer

>>> different questions while pretending to answer the questions asked,

>>> then a claim was made that the questions would be answered at a

>>> later date.

>>> In reality, no such answer has been forthcoming from AFRINIC. We

>>> recognize that these questions are likely inconvenient and come at

>>> what is almost certainly an inopportune time to be asking.

>>> Nonetheless, these are valid questions and as a resource member, we

>>> feel that we are being held at unfair disadvantage if AFRINIC will

>>> not provide a clear and direct answer to each of the questions about

>>> how it interprets policies in these areas.

>>> There’s too much at stake to allow AFRINIC staff to simply make it

>>> up as they go a long. We need a public commitment to the official

>>> interpretation of these areas of potential ambiguity in the current

>>> policy regime.

>>> As to the fourth item, while it is not our intent to micro-manage

>>> AFRINIC staff decisions, it is our conclusion that even if Madhvi

>>> did not actively participate in the fraudulent resource

>>> registrations and embezzlement, she surely must have either turned a

>>> blind eye (aiding and abetting) or she failed to notice it which at

>>> best displays a level of incompetence and failure to meet her duty

>>> of care in such a position.

>>> In summary, we renew our request for factual, reliable, direct

>>> answers to each of the queries and request that AFRINIC eschew

>>> further obfuscation and sophistry in the process.

>>> Thank you.

>>> Paul Wollner

>>> ---- On Wed, 30 Jun 2021 13:04:19 +0200 Eddy Kayihura

>>> <eddy at afrinic.net <mailto:eddy at afrinic.net>> wrote ----

>>> Mr Wollner,

>>> I refer to your email dated 24 June 2021.

>>> Questions 1 to 3 were addressed during the open mic session held on

>>> 4 June 2021 and we undertook an action to organise a webinar within

>>> 2 months to discuss with the community the definition of

>>> “need-based” in the AFRINIC policies and bylaws.

>>> We are delighted to see that the discussion amongst the community

>>> has already started.

>>> Regarding question 4, we cannot penalise a staff member unless we

>>> find concrete proof of their involvement in the misappropriation of

>>> the IP resources. As of now, we do not have such evidence on any of

>>> AFRINIC’s current staff members.

>>> The appropriate channel for such inquiry or complaint is to submit

>>> it via our Whistleblowing platform.

>>> Regards,

>>> Eddy Kayihura

>>> Chief Executive Officer,

>>> African Network Information Centre (AFRINIC)

>>> …………………………………………………….

>>> M. Wollner,

>>> Je me réfère à votre courriel du 24 juin 2021.

>>> Les questions 1 à 3 ont été abordées lors de la session 'open mic'

>>> qui s'est tenue le 4 juin 2021 et nous avons entrepris une action

>>> visant à organiser un webinaire dans un délai de 2 mois afin de

>>> discuter avec la communauté de la définition de "need-based" dans

>>> les politiques et les statuts d'AFRINIC.

>>> Nous sommes ravis de voir que la discussion au sein de la communauté

>>> a déjà commencé.

>>> En ce qui concerne la question 4, nous ne pouvons pas pénaliser un

>>> membre du personnel à moins de trouver des preuves concrètes de son

>>> implication dans la manipulation non autorisée des ressources IP. A

>>> ce jour, nous n'avons pas de telles preuves sur aucun des membres

>>> actuels du personnel d'AFRINIC.

>>> Le canal approprié pour une telle requête ou plainte est de la

>>> soumettre via notre plateforme de whistleblowing.

>>> Cordialement,