[rpd] Unaddressed queries by AFRINIC during AGMM

Anthony Ubah ubah.tonyiyke at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 23:56:28 UTC 2021

Hello Eddy,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

For clarity, I do not understand the need based comment?

I was reading the CPM and the need parts are either the allocation request
from an LIR to AFRINIC.

AFRINIC then reviews the current usage and issues a new allocation or not.

Also, asignments and sub-allocations made by an LIR to its own customers
based on the LIR's understanding and own internal evaluation.
That information is then used for the new allocation request by AFRINIC and
AFRINIC staff decides if the new allocation is really needed.

Or

Assignments to end-users made directly by AFRINIC.

There are also mentions of need for ASN and IPv6.

I apologize in advance for all the questions if it is all clear for others
but for me this is all a bit new and confusing.

So the following came to mind:

1)
Is AFRINIC re-evaluating allocations made to members and taking back
address space, when it is decided the assignments are invalid or inflated
even when no new allocation request is made?

2) How many members are currently targeted by such retro active allocation
evaluation, if any (I may have misunderstood the discussion at hand)?
Is this something that was always done or is it new?

3) Has any limits been set on what and how to recover?
Say a member with a /22 only uses a /23 worth of space will you leave them
the /23 and take back the rest?
How long does it need to be unused or badly used before it can be recovered?
If the /23 worth of space is not contiguous, will you fragment the space or
request renumbering to avoid creating new routes?

4) Is only IPv4 targeted, or the same is being done to ASNs and IPv6?

5) Are end-users who received direct assignments from AFRINIC also being
targeted?

6) The above, if true, cannot be backed up by any reading of the CPM.
Would it be possible for AFRINIC as an organization or at least someone who
works there to actually submit policy proposals to the community so that we
as a community can approve or disapprove officially of certain internal
practice and procedures so we can have a say on them as part of the CPM?

Kind regards,

Anthony