[rpd] [Community-Discuss] Unaddressed queries by AFRINIC during AGMM

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Jul 9 11:14:32 UTC 2021

> On Jul 4, 2021, at 03:53 , Noah <noah at neo.co.tz> wrote:

> Hi Mimi,

> On Sun, 4 Jul 2021, 13:36 Mimi dy, <dym5328 at gmail.com <mailto:dym5328 at gmail.com>> wrote:

> Hello Noah,

> As I stressed above, an AFRINIC member who provides internet connectivity within the AFRICAN region and helps maintain a stable and accessible internet,

> I know resource members with ASN, IPv4 and IPv6 integers doing exactly what you are describing above.

> while also legitimately running a brokerage business,

> They don't run brokerage business and the reason is because they requested INR based on a need to number their own infrastcture and that of their customers whom they provide a wide range of IP related services.

> None of those service include IPv$ brokerage.

Some do. I think based on what you say below, you misunderstand the meaning of “brokerage”.

> should not be subject to membership termination.

> AFRINIC has publicly stated that they have never allocated IPv4 space to members for the purpose of brokerage services which involves leasing as per below link.

> https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/community-discuss/2021-February/003907.html <https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/community-discuss/2021-February/003907.html>

Leasing is NOT brokerage. Brokerage is an organization which specializes in connecting those with addresses they no longer need and wish to monetize to those with a need for
addresses who are willing to pay for them. Brokers deal almost exclusively in sales of addresses and (with very rare exception) are not directly supplying addresses to the market
themselves. Examples of brokerages include IPv4Marketgroup, Hilco Streambank, Addrex, and many others. None of the major brokers is dealing in addresses issued to them by
an RIR, but rather acting much like a real estate agent, having a customer on the sell side and a customer on the buy side and helping the two of them work out the transaction and
work it through the RIR system as needed.

> That being said, AFRINIC might lose an active and efficient member that highly contributes to the development of the region.

> Which member are you referring to?

I’m pretty sure her example is hypothetical, but her point is still valid.