[rpd] More confusion from Noah

Anthony Ubah ubah.tonyiyke at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 22:05:32 UTC 2021

Hi Noah,

What you describe sounds nice if you are one of the established ISPs who
are running a top to bottom network. However you can not say the same
for smaller enterprises, too small to be an LIR, and unable to run full
operations profitably, giving inability to afford the RIR/AFRINIC fees. I
feel total reliance on network providers/carriers also limits flexibility,
which goes more along the line of thinking from the ITU, than the spirit of
the Internet, as set by the early pioneers of the Internet.

No textbook analogy. IP leasing can allow the enterprise/organizations
certain flexibility in administration. Like having a single contiguous
range to numbers on all their interfaces and infrastructure either locally
and across the cloud, for better administration and scaling of their
network they need. This way all their IPs are unique and contiguous, and
they can number their offices networks, servers, VPN etc. for easy
management.
So Yes, fully (physical)provider independent. Without the physical
connection to provider being involved, that provider will still be there of
course, but the end user is not forced to number their LAN with that
provider's IP addresses.

On another note, AFRINIC itself would give out such IP addresses as
assignments with the same justifications, These provider-independent
address space (PI) has some limitations in the current CPM. The PIs
assignments are also called "leasing", and well.
AFRINIC as a non profit organisation should not place itself in direct
competition with its members.
Resource owners are restricted from leasing, while the registry can lease
out space as described in the policy, placing AFRINIC in a very awkward
situation.

*Best Regards,*

*Anthony*