[rpd] [Community-Discuss] Unaddressed queries by AFRINIC during AGMM

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Jul 2 10:35:26 UTC 2021

> On Jun 29, 2021, at 14:10 , Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com> wrote:

> In message <CF1BAB61-2242-4555-A96C-91E1903CCCC6 at delong.com>,

> Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

>> I don't even oppose such a policy, personally, if that's

>> what the community wants. I do think it would be short-sighted, likely

>> unenforceable...

> I believe that LACNIC has a policy that IP resources granted must be

> deployed at least 50% within the region.

> I am not aware of them having any special difficulties enforcing that.

I was speaking of a policy providing an absolute prohibition against out of region
use (or near absolute anyway), say equivalent to 5.4.4 et. seq in the soft landing
policy.

> There may be reasons, perhaps even good ones, why such a policy would

> not be appropriate within the AFRINIC region, but "enforceability" or

> the lack thereof would not seem gto be one of them.

Of a 50% policy, probably not, but of an outright ban? I think it would become
a nightmare or a twisty little maze of selective enforcement at best.