[rpd] [Community-Discuss] Unaddressed queries by AFRINIC during AGMM

Fernando Frediani fhfrediani at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 13:33:11 UTC 2021

I get shocked every time I see people trying to make it normal things
like IP Leasing or usage of resources out of the region, as it it was
something from the day by day. The only thing I can think of this is
because that may be interesting financially to them despite it goes in
the totally wrong direction of how IP space has always been treated and
should keep be, always remembering it is not something the belong to any
organization but is in custody of.

- What is the point to allow resources issued by a certain RIR to be
used elsewhere in the world and not in the region where they were
originally issued by IANA ? If it was the case then we don't need RIRs
with their own pools and rules, just have a global pool which would
certainly be unfair to certain regions that have different different
needs and evolve in different speeds.
It is understandable certain specific usages like anycast or small
portions of IP space outside the region in order to support the
operations in the region, but not simply an organization come here,
estabilish an legal local company request IP addresses and go to use
them elsewhere in the world.

- Leasing is another absurd that I really fail to understand how people
consider it normal. Just think for a minute: when a organization request
IP space from the RIR it is for its own usage and for its customers
usages which it provides connectivity and don't have the possibility to
hold their own IP space. It is pretty obvious !
Does it make any sense to justify to the RIR: "I need this extra IP
space in order to lease them to other ASNs which according to the rules
of the their RIR, cannot request anymore". Just look how absurd this can
be !
And works the same for organization who already have IP space issued. If
it is leasing part of it to some other organization then it is crystal
clear that part of those addresses which have been justified in the past
are not needed anymore by that organization and should be returned as
they don't justify for them anymore. It might sound 'cruel' to those who
are doing that but it is the obvious. Rules can't allow organizations to
create 'address estates' with something they don't own.
And by the way: when a LIR assigns IP addresses to their connectivity
customers this is NOT a lease but an administrative fee to cover costs
to keep all infrastructure necessary to have those IPs up and running,
including the same very administrative fee that is paid to the RIR for
the same proposes.

I invite those who still struggle to understand these points to make an
effort and not make absurd points like this look normal and acceptable.

Just a final note about transfer process which involves a payment to the
source organization in this case I don't see as an issue because at
least the receiving organization will have to justify the need to the
RIR, so at least community is ensured those transferred resources will
in fact be used by someone who really need and justify them. So if one
has space which is not use anymore and believe they will never be
necessary in the future just transfer them to another organization and
transfer policies will do what they were thought to do.

Regards
Fernando