[rpd] [Community-Discuss] clarification requested from AFRINIC

Noah noah at neo.co.tz
Wed Mar 3 11:23:05 UTC 2021

On Wed, 3 Mar 2021, 14:09 Madhvi Gokool, <madhvi at afrinic.net> wrote:

> Hello Jordi /PDWG

> On 03/03/2021 1:52 PM, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via Community-Discuss wrote:

> Hi all,

> Today, during the APNIC51 meeting, in the Global Reports session (https://2021.apricot.net/program/schedule-conference/#/day/10/apnic-global-reports), as usual, there was a presentation from every RIR, including AFRINIC.

> In this presentation from AFRINIC, there have been two "imprecisions". I prefer to use this wording instead of something stronger, because to me those are very severe issues. I've asked in the Q&A to get this publicly clarified and it was not done.

> AFRINIC MUST publicly acknowledge the mistakes.

> 1) It was explained that the AFRINIC PDWG co-chairs resigned. You can see it at the end of the presentation.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ODvgxbMErs#t=35m50s

> The AFRINIC staff corrected the initial statement made in his

> presentation and mentioned that the Co-chairs were recalled in the Q&A

> feature.

> 2) It has been said that one of the policy proposals that reached consensus hasn't been sent to the Board for ratification, which is not true, as discussed in the RPD mailing list. The co-chairs did send the policy to the Board, but the Board decided to ignore it, because it looks like they want the chairs to follow a format that has never been enforced before and it has not been approved by the community, neither the PDP.

> See slide 6 at https://2021.apricot.net/assets/files/APSr481/afrinic-update-apnic51.pdf

> i) The PDWG is under the impression from a previous correspondence of the

> now ex-co chair AbdulKarim that the co-chairs had already sent the

> ratification reports to the Board.

> ii) There were requests on the rpd mailing list to the outgoing co-chairs

> to share the mails that they have sent to the Board with the PDWG and

> there were no responses.

> iii) The Board Chair informed the community on 14 Feb 2021 that the

> report for ratification was not received.

> https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd/2021/012363.html

> iv) It is incorrect to mention that the Board wanted the chairs to follow

> a specific format. This is a misinterpretation of the information provided

> by the Policy Liaison to the mailing list in regard to the report

> template. https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd/2021/012374.html

I disagree with Jordi's sentiments as they don't paint the true picture of
what WG discussions on thematter regarding recalled co-chairs comms to the
board. In fact members of WG have never seen such email either.

FWIW, I fully agree with Madhvi sentiments which are correct and clear
picture of WG understanding of the same.

Noah