[rpd] Selecting WG Co-Chairs: Was Re: Can a Consensual Decision of the PDWG Violate the PDP? (was: Report from Recall Committee)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Feb 24 00:12:57 UTC 2021

> On Feb 20, 2021, at 1:56 PM, Fernando Frediani <fhfrediani at gmail.com> wrote:

> There are no "new rules". Where are you seening them ?

> People are just discussing what would be best for new Co-Chairs and and ia expected from such person in a time we are in process to choose someone new.

> Just understand the difference.

Some have been discussing new eligibility criteria for candidates. That would constitute new rules.

> At some point when we have Co-Chairs again we may want to adjust the PDP and incorporate whatever better we find out of this discussion.

Perhaps, but the key issue here is that new criteria cannot be applied to candidates in this election except by the electorate on a voluntary basis.

Owen

> Regards

> Fernando

> On Sat, 20 Feb 2021, 18:34 Daniel Yakmut, <yakmutd at googlemail.com <mailto:yakmutd at googlemail.com>> wrote:

> Hello,

> We cannot appoint a co-chair in any guise outside the rules of the PDP. If you must push anything outside the laws, then suspend it, this way you are not guided by anything as you take a new decision. But is it possible to suspend all our rules.

> Therefore, I totally disagree with any new rules. let us stick to what the books say, and be creative at using it and subsequently, coming out with a solution to our current predicament.

> cheers

> Daniel

> On 19/02/2021 8:54 pm, Fernando Frediani wrote:

>> Hello Noah

>> It sounds a reasonable suggestion.

>> I think with at least 1 Co-Chair we can get things keep moving. The ideal would be to have two in order to avoid one person taking decisions alone.

>> I think a good scenario is that we appoint one interim chair and with the person in place he/she works towards the selection of the second one as a priority.

>> Now the most important point is: do we have any experienced people to volunteer to server at least for some time and help the things settle down a bit ? Any names we can consider ?

>> Regards

>> Fernando

>> On 19/02/2021 16:34, Noah wrote:

>>> Hello PDWG,

>>> Can we try a different approach?

>>> 1. Agree on appointing one interim chair until the next meeting

>>> 1.1 If yes (which is my preference), can we look for an experienced participant to volunteer in this role?

>>> 2. Instead, we use the PDP to deliberate on the proposals which are already under discussion?

>>> https://www.afrinic.net/policy/proposals <https://www.afrinic.net/policy/proposals>

>>> Cheers,

>>> Noah

>>> On Fri, 19 Feb 2021, 12:33 Sunday Folayan, <sfolayan at skannet.com <mailto:sfolayan at skannet.com>> wrote:

>>> In the light of MJE's contribution, I would like to modify my earlier submission.

>>> My personal preference for Interim Chairs' selection:

>>> • [A] a selection through rough consensus [2] After prospects do volunteer;

>>> • [B] a selection based on ranking voting [3] if more than 2 volunteers, then discussions;

>>> • [C] a selection based on an election (online) as usual [1] if more than 2 candidates and discussions stalemate;

>>> • [D] a selection inside a group of selectees based on criteria [4] (a long and unnecessary process for selecting the interim Chairs);

>>> • [E] any other possibility?

>>> I have no problem with NOMCOM being the selectees in [D] above. It will not be a long and un-necessary process.

>>> Sunday.