[rpd] Criteria for Eligibility or Selection of PDWG Co-Chairs

Gaby Giner gabyginernetwork at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 13:59:08 UTC 2021

Hi Noah,

Thank you for taking the time in creating the criteria. I understand the
intent behind creating such criteria to filter the candidates however I am
of the mind that it would go against the inclusivity principle of the CPM.
Without echoing other people, I do believe that this could become rather
elitist in approach, insofar that it excludes capable volunteers but lacks
the finer details you want (volunteers that are scarce and hard to find,
much less the already reduced pool subjected to stringier filters).

Another point to consider is that say, the community says yes to this, but
down the line some misunderstanding and disagreement happen to challenge
the “legality” of this criteria in terms of the CPM (whether or not it is
enforceable because it wasn’t made into policy etc). Even if this goes into
a proposal, I think you’d also find the same objections stated above.

Lastly, the criteria itself could be questioned. I mean, what is the
rationale behind certain details such as “five years sound technical
experience”, or “affiliation with an entity which is an AFRINIC resource
member” – these details can be construed as kind of inequitable to the
co-chair position and those that want to volunteer.

TL;DR, I regrettably oppose this because a.) goes against inclusivity and
limits the already small pool of volunteers, b.) potential “legality”
problems down the line, c.) prejudiced against those who want to volunteer
for the position.

Thank you,
Gaby.