[rpd] Criteria for Eligibility or Selection of PDWG Co-Chairs

Caleb Olumuyiwa Ogundele muyiwacaleb at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 12:22:27 UTC 2021

Hello Jordi,

Not wearing any cap as I write this email.

Jordi: *2.2 Be (or employed by) an AFRINIC resource-holder*

I wish to disagree with your point on this particular one as you might be
making it stringent for any volunteer in the community to participate
irrespective of affiliation.

Another infered view could be that a co-chair could be sponsored by an
organization with an organizational interest in the case where they are
sponsoring or co-authoring a policy. Being a sponsored organizational
co-chair could be that the individual would have to serve his/her
organization due to KPR they have to fulfill.

I would rather we use the approach,

2.2. The preferred candidate/volunteer should be nominated by any AFRINIC
resource holder while the candidate is expected to declare any conflict of
interest emanating from such nomination.

That way we can keep a tab on the policies they chair and how they arrive
at such decisions while making inferences to organizational interests.

Regards

Caleb Ogundele

Community Member

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 12:57 PM Sylvain Baya <abscoco at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear PDWG,

> Le ven. 19 févr. 2021 12:24, Wijdane Goubi <wijdan.goubi at gmail.com> a

> écrit :

>> Dear community,

>> Admittedly, one of the most critical ways that us as individuals can

>> influence the decision-making within the community is through voting, which

>> is a right and a formal expression of preference for a candidate for a

>> proposed resolution of an issue.

> Hi Wijdane,

> Thanks for participating, Sister.

> ...as you prefer *election* as the *selection* model to be used; the PDWG

> should then agree on at least few *criteria* to ensure that we end up with

> (i) a reasonable *limited* number of (ii) *sufficiently* capable

> candidates.

> Are you agreeing to these needs?

> Hence, making a set of criteria for a WG participant to become a co-chair is

>> going to put obstacles and barriers in front of both voters and candidates.

>> Therefore, I absolutely don’t go along with the view of putting

>> restrictions on candidates no matter what hardships we went through during

>> the time of the previous co-chairs otherwise it might lead us to

>> misjudgments and discrimination.

> ...i'm sure we can also try to go ahead without

> any *criteria* but i can't personally encourage

> the PDWG to follow that path.

> Of course, that is one way of looking at it; however we are talking about

>> a voluntary position which simply should be for people who have a good

>> knowledge of CPM and PDP alongside with a sense of commitment, devotion,

>> and responsibility towards the community.

> Sister, many thanks for your own proposition

> of acceptable criteria.

> ...i'm sure that Noah is following-up ;-)

> Shalom,

> --sb.

> Regards,

>> Wijdane