[rpd] Selecting WG Co-Chairs: Was Re: Can a Consensual Decision of the PDWG Violate the PDP? (was: Report from Recall Committee)

Noah noah at neo.co.tz
Fri Feb 19 05:29:24 UTC 2021

On Fri, 19 Feb 2021, 01:56 Sylvain Baya, <abscoco at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear PDWG,

Hi Sylvain

> ....a remaining question:

> Which model of *selection* y'all prefer?

> ~°~

> • a selection based on an election (online) as usual [1];

> • a selection through rough consensus [2];

> • a selection based on ranking voting [3];

> • a selection inside a group of selectees based on criteria [4];

> • any other possibility?

Since the working group functions by participation, a selection by rough
consensus would come in handy after all, the PDWG activities end goal is to
accomplish work by finding a path to consensus so [2] should be considered
as first option by the WG.

A selection based on ranking voting would be the second best choice imho so
[3] should be considered as second choice by the WG imho.

NOTE: Before we even think of the above, can we as a WG agree on a set of
criteria for one to become a chair. This I believe is more important and I
have some few ideas like;

1. Active participation in WG discussions, in say, the past 3 years.

2. Demonstrate clear understanding of the CPM and especially sections that
relate to PDWG.

3. Some 5 years sound technical experience in this space with a clear
understanding of Internet Protocol and preferably having worked in this
space.

4. Affiliation with an entity which is am AFRINIC resource members could
come in handy.

5. Understanding of rfc7282 and what rough consensus and consensus is all
about, after all consensus is a path and not a destination.

Other participants in this WG can also add and we see what criteria are
more required and which ones to discard to keep it simple.

I stand to be corrected but I think we as a WG have an obligation to first
sort this requirements out before we can think of the selection of interim
co-chairs.

Cheers,
Noah

Ok