[rpd] Decisions and summary on policy proposals discussed during the online Policy meeting (AFRINIC 32)

Noah noah at neo.co.tz
Fri Sep 25 09:27:48 UTC 2020

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 3:15 AM ABDULKARIM OLOYEDE <
oloyede.aa at unilorin.edu.ng> wrote:

> Dear PDWG Members,

> Hi Cochairs and PDWG

Please see below analysis and comments on Co-Chairs notes for the proposal
below:

> 10. *Resource Transfer Policy*

> This proposal aims to introduce Inter RIR transfer. However, it has the

> following opposition

> a. Issues with Legacy holder transfer is potentially

> considered none-reciprocal by ARIN

Which issue with the legacy holder is this? And what does “potentially”
mean here?

> b. Potential abuse of AFRINIC free pool without the time

> limit of receiving an allocation from AFRINIC.

How is this “potential “ abuse difference from the general abuse this
proposal itself represents with its problem statement and how it addresses
the problems it intended to solve?

> Chairs Decision: The proposal is the least contested of all the 3

> competing proposals.

You ignored all the objections on the problem statement, the incoherence
with the solutions and the implementation challenges that were raised ?

Few of them below:

———-
*5.7.3.1 The source must be the current rightful holder of the IPv4 address
resources registered with any RIR, and shall be in compliance with the
policies of the receiving RIR, and shall not be involved in any dispute as
to the status of those resources.”*
———-

It is the receiving party which must satisfy the receiving RIR policies.
The source must satisfy the transferring RIR membership agreements and
governing policies to initiate a valid transfer.

———
*5.7.5.1 The transferring party who holds the resources can initiate a
transfer request between itself and an external party. If the two parties
agree, the transferring party will send a request to the receiving RIR,
using a standard template and submit an official agreement of resource
transfer to the involved RIR(s). The transfer shall be in compliance with
the policies of the receiving RIR.”*
———

Why is source RIR not involved? Note that the transferring party is not
known by the receiving RIR.

————
*5.7.5.2 After the receiving RIR approves the transfer, it will notify the
transferring RIR, the transferring party and the recipient. The resources
will be transferred to the recipient.”*
———-—

Why would the receiving be notifying an RIR which has not processed
transfer request. It’s backwards?

———-

*5.7.5.3 When the receiving RIR approves the transfer, the resources will
be transferred to the recipient”*————

Receiving RIR cannot initiate a transfer. Only the transferring RIR can
transfer. Receiving it can receive and check local policy.

> However because of the community’s desire and clear expression for the

> need for an Inter RIR transfer, we, the Co-chairs, believe that in the

> interest of the community we should focus on a proposal rather than several

> similar ones.

You believed, instead of asking the WG how it wants to proceed. Your role
here should have been :

⁃ To show the problem being solved by each of them.

⁃ To show Pros and Cons for each solution and the WG then decides.

> This desire was clearly expressed at the AFRINIC 31 meeting in Angola.

In Angola, your attempt to get the authors of two proposals to merge
against the 3rd one failed.

> Therefore, We suggest that the authors of this proposal make the following

> amendments:

On which basis Co-chairs made such decisions? Were these amendments
discussed by the WG?

· 5.7.3.2 Source entities are not eligible to receive further IPv4

> allocations or assignments from AFRINIC for 12 months period after the

> transfer.

Why impose such restriction on people doing open and free businesses?

This contradicts the intent of the proposal.

Why not changing the proposed 5.7.3.3 which goes with the 5.7.3.2

> · 5.7.4.3. Transferred legacy resources will still be regarded as

> legacy resources.

Why should a legacy resource transferred through an Inter-RIR transfer
policy keep its status of legacy at the destination?

> Chairs Decision: Provided that the above are amended, the decisions is

> Rough Consensus is achieved

Provided that these amendments have not been accepted by the WG and that
the proposal has several issues, no rough Consensus is achieved.

Cheers,
Noah