[rpd] Decisions and summary on policy proposals discussed during the online Policy meeting (AFRINIC 32)

ALAIN AINA aalain at trstech.net
Wed Sep 23 16:38:37 UTC 2020

Dear Cochairs and PDPWG,

See below, our responses and comments on cochairs decisions regarding the proposal referred to below.

[…….]

> 9. AFRINIC Number Resource Transfer

> a. Not realistic for one-way inter RIR resource transfer as it has to be reciprocal. One way would never happen as only global resources can come in and go out

The two statements above are false.

⁃ This proposal offers two-ways inter-RIR transfers as it allows resources to be transferred in and out

⁃ The proposal clearly marks any "resources transferred in" and "Legacy resources in AFRINIC service region" as “Global”

⁃ “Global” resources so defined are eligible to be transferred out

The proposal is reciprocal and compatible. Staff has asked for the WG to pause and allow them to query the other RIRs and you denied it and made your decision on this wrong understanding of our proposal.

Each region decides which resources are eligible for transfer out and AFRINIC would not be doing anything special.

> b. It would be difficult for the recipient to follow the rules of AFRINIC if they are not in the African region.

I don’t know where you got this from. Our proposal never shows this requirement.
Section 3.6
"If the recipient is in another region, the conditions on the recipient are defined in the counterpart’s RIR transfer policy."

> c. No need for ASN transfer. If one is moving regions and doesn't have an ASN in the new region, it can request and receive from the local RIRs

This was discussed many times.
There are cases where members need to acquire 4-byte ASN mappable 2-byte which are scarce resources now.

Staff policy implementation report presented at AIS2019 also raises the needs for some members to transfer ASN https://www.afrinic.net/ast/pdf/policy/afrinic-pier-2019.pdf

Other RIRs inter-RIR policies also allow ASN transfer.

Surprisingly, the competing transfer proposal you unilaterally decided to move forward also indicates the need for ASN transfer

> d. Additional attributes create none-operational complexity in the whois database.

I don’t know what you mean by this. You may be again confusing proposals.
The only thing our proposal requests is for resources tag. Resources have always been tagged as you can see https://ftp.afrinic.net/stats/afrinic/delegated-afrinic-extended-latest

> Chairs Decision: No consensus.

It is obvious that all the objections mentioned above regarding our transfer policy do not hold. Either you find other things more substantial or you revise your decisions.

-Alain ( on behalf of the co-authors)