[rpd] Policy Compliance Dashboard - AFPUB-2020-GEN-001-DRAFT01

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Fri Sep 11 09:06:17 UTC 2020

Thanks Gaby!

As I just mention in a previous email, we need to understand that even if we all believe that a proposal is “perfect” this is never true, but the PDP is there precisely to keep improving and adapt to changes.

Also, some proposals take time to implement, this is one of them (it will be needed to be implemented in phases, with different “sets” of automation levels). And during the implementation, the staff and the community will be able to report “guys we overlooked this and that, let’s improve it”. But we need a starting point!

I can tell you an history about a recent policy that I proposed in APNIC and reached consensus a couple of years ago (on the first version!). This is equivalent to the AFRINIC proposal “Abuse Contact Policy Update”. Together with the policy (not as part of the policy text), I provided an example of a validation procedure. The staff didn’t followed my approach which was developed to avoid “click on a link which can be pishing, or whatever, so a security issue”. Guess what? In the yesterday meeting, after the policy has been implemented and it proved that 87.5% of the abuse-c contacts were right (amazing!), the staff reported complains from some members about “click the link” … of course, it should not be neccesary to update the policy, it is rather and internal procedure to be improved by the staff. However this history confirms that policies aren’t perfect and always can be improved and you know, the advantage is that in this specific case, the AFRINIC version for that proposal is version 6, which has been edited according to discussions in all the other RIRs. So yes, we are late with that policy, but the text is taking advantage on the implementations on other regions, and still I’m sure is not perfect! We can always improve based on experience!

If you want to read all the details, here is the video from APNIC, and my email to resolve it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_NnXDA6P24&t=1424s

Jordi

@jordipalet