[rpd] [Community-Discuss] Cloud Innovation Displays Very Poor, If Not Criminal, Netizenship

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sun May 31 20:55:52 UTC 2020

On 31/May/20 18:39, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via RPD wrote:

> There is already a nice case in Kenya with 464XLAT if I recall correctly.

> There is another one with 25 million subscribers (mobile, GPON and

> DSL) coming up. I’m working on it, but can’t disclose yet more

> details. Unfortunately, it is somehow paused because the Covid-19 … I

> should have been there working (started in December), but can’t travel

> there at the time being …

I have no doubt there are discussions about IPv6 deployment as a line
item in monthly meetings at the mobile companies. Glad to hear you are
helping some implement, but the proof is in the showing. Until then,
I'll keep harping on.

> Regarding the cost of CGN, it is way **more** expensive than 464XLAT,

> at least in the mobile world, no CPEs involved! Both Android and iOS

> support it. People is not making the right numbers, or they are afraid

> of IPv6. Even if they need to pay for a training and consultancy to

> set it up, it is still way cheaper than CGN and it is a **long term**

> solution!!!!

> With CGN you buy the CGN boxes, you keep resolving issues for apps

> that need ALGs (which means extra cost, customers unhappy, helpdesk).

> Then each CGN as it gets more ALGs, has a lower performance, so you

> need to buy more CGNs. Then you also need to buy more IPv4 addresses!

> And what about the cost of logging?

> In the case of 464XLAT, you **don’t need** to buy more addresses, you

> can even transfer a big portion of your existing ones and get some

> money back! And because your IPv6 traffic is going to be more than

> 75%, it means that you need to buy **much less** NAT64 boxes than CGN

> ones!

Not sure if you missed it, but my message was "CGN's are bad and
expensive, NAT64 and 464XLAT are good and sensible".

> In general I don’t advocate for regulators to get involved in private

> company decisions, but the time for that is coming if they don’t react

> by themselves, and I guess you don’t want to do that in a rush!

I don't disagree, but the mobile operators need an incentive other than
money to understand what's going on here.

> My point for governments and regulators is another. Goverments must

> not buy anything (not just hardware, software or connectivity, also

> human resources and other services) that doesn’t support IPv6 (and not

> just dual-stack, it must be able to work in an IPv6-only environment

> when needed), because that’s paid with money from citizens (tax

> payers), so it will be against law to do a bad expenditure, right?

> Furthermore, if goverments mandate the IPv6 support, all the ISPs will

> also start providing the service to business and householders.

> And last, but not least. I can prove that if a government is

> connecting many public offices (ministries, municipalities, police,

> fireman, etc., etc.), in a government network, and they do with

> IPv6-only (464XLAT), they can save a lot of money.

> I’ve a case for a country in another region, I can’t disclose it yet,

> but I can put the figures in the table. Just for 2.000 municipalties

> (still not talking about all the other government offices …), the cost

> of doing with IPv4 is about 340.00.000 USD. Which IPv6-only, including

> 2 government datacenters (main and backup) is about 40.000.000 euros.

> This is only including the equipment, human resources, IP/ASN

> resources and connectivity cost – including VoIP (not including any

> buldings). Of course it need to be tailored for every case, not all

> the countries have the same number of connected offices, they may have

> already a DC, etc.

> So savings every 5 years (those figures are calculated for 5 years

> terms, assuming that you renew your equipment every 5 years) is

> 300.000.000 USD for 2.000 government connected offices.

While it's great for gubbermints to only purchase from IPv6-supporting
entities, I don't really care about that anymore. Rather, let them
provide an environment that encourages those who should, to quickly
drive adoptino.

Mark.