[rpd] Larus foundation and Afrinic PDP

Noah noah at neo.co.tz
Mon Feb 17 21:48:04 UTC 2020

On Tue, 18 Feb 2020, 00:03 Owen DeLong, <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> On Feb 17, 2020, at 11:49 , Noah <noah at neo.co.tz> wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Feb 2020, 02:18 Owen DeLong, <owen at delong.com> wrote:

>> On Feb 14, 2020, at 22:35 , Badru Ntege <badru.ntege at nftconsult.com>

>> wrote:

>> Am i reading that participants will be rewarded due to the amount of time

>> they public spend at the mic ??

>> No. Amount of time is only relevant in attendance at the sessions.

>> However, we also don’t want to see purely passive sitting through sessions,

>> but actual active engagement in them.

>> Just asking what might outrightly be seen as a silly question but looks

>> like “open mic minutes for sell”

>> I realize you and some others wish to take the most cynical possible

>> view. Please note that I said the comments must be relevant.

>> We are attempting to encourage legitimate active participation.

>> As much as we appreciate the above the line opticals of helping the

>> community we must always be cognizant of the bellow the line motives.

>> While I cannot speak for everyone involved in this process, I can assure

>> you that I have no below-the-line motivation. My motivation in this process

>> is to

>> encourage additional active participation. It is my belief that the best

>> policies will evolve from the most engaged community.

>> Pls note I’m reading from the response. And not insinuating any motives

>> but as they say If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like

>> a duck, then it probably is a duck.

>> Please just say what you mean.

>> Owen

> Owen,

> Your continous support to these controversies amuses me a lot.

> You are rewarding people for time spent at the mic to create an engaged

> community for a better PDP?

> As you know, all the current active policies were discussed and ratified

> by this community over the past 20 years and Larus Foundation was never

> there when various proposals were drafted and deliberated, past volunteers

> co-chaired the PPM and managed working groups on this list and over the

> years through rough consensus, they got all the active policies today

> ratified.

> I am disgusted by this continued undermining of AfriNIC.

> I am confused as to how bringing new blood into the process is

> “undermining”.

There is already a comment from one of the new bloods that tried to be
involved with l
Larus Foundation complaining about your Foundation terms and conditions
which are suspect.

> New blood and new ideas are life for any organization or process which

> intends to continue for more than a very short period of time.

That is why AfriNIC for the past 20 years has been running a successful
fellowship program [1].

Are you saying that any voice which was not here at the beginning is

> “undermining the process”?

Where did i say that?

> It is not the goal or intent of Larus foundation to undermine anything. We

> are, exactly as Daniel said, providing opportunities for more Africans to

> participate in the AfriNIC process

One can not even compare the Larus Foundation hackjob yourself/daniel are
involved with which includes a 500USD cash handouts to its participants
with [1].

Noah

[1] https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/announce/2020/002153.html