[rpd] Larus foundation and Afrinic PDP

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Feb 17 21:03:23 UTC 2020

> On Feb 17, 2020, at 11:49 , Noah <noah at neo.co.tz> wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Feb 2020, 02:18 Owen DeLong, <owen at delong.com <mailto:owen at delong.com>> wrote:

>> On Feb 14, 2020, at 22:35 , Badru Ntege <badru.ntege at nftconsult.com <mailto:badru.ntege at nftconsult.com>> wrote:

>> Am i reading that participants will be rewarded due to the amount of time they public spend at the mic ??

> No. Amount of time is only relevant in attendance at the sessions. However, we also don’t want to see purely passive sitting through sessions, but actual active engagement in them.

>> Just asking what might outrightly be seen as a silly question but looks like “open mic minutes for sell”

> I realize you and some others wish to take the most cynical possible view. Please note that I said the comments must be relevant.

> We are attempting to encourage legitimate active participation.

>> As much as we appreciate the above the line opticals of helping the community we must always be cognizant of the bellow the line motives.

> While I cannot speak for everyone involved in this process, I can assure you that I have no below-the-line motivation. My motivation in this process is to

> encourage additional active participation. It is my belief that the best policies will evolve from the most engaged community.

>> Pls note I’m reading from the response. And not insinuating any motives but as they say If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

> Please just say what you mean.

> Owen

> Owen,

> Your continous support to these controversies amuses me a lot.

> You are rewarding people for time spent at the mic to create an engaged community for a better PDP?

> As you know, all the current active policies were discussed and ratified by this community over the past 20 years and Larus Foundation was never there when various proposals were drafted and deliberated, past volunteers co-chaired the PPM and managed working groups on this list and over the years through rough consensus, they got all the active policies today ratified.

> I am disgusted by this continued undermining of AfriNIC.

I am confused as to how bringing new blood into the process is “undermining”.

New blood and new ideas are life for any organization or process which intends to continue for more than a very short period of time.

The board we have today is not the board we had when AfriNIC began. Is having a new board undermining the process?
The CEO we have today is not the CEO we had when AfriNIC began. Is having a new CEO undermining the process?
Many of the most vocal participants in the process today were not participants in the process when AfriNIC began. Are you saying that any voice which was not here at the beginning is “undermining the process”?

It is not the goal or intent of Larus foundation to undermine anything. We are, exactly as Daniel said, providing opportunities for more Africans to participate in the AfriNIC process.