[rpd] final decision on AFPUB-2019-GEN-006-DRAFT01 "RPKI ROAs for Unallocated and Unassigned AFRINIC Address Space" (last call)

Arnaud AMELINA amelnaud at gmail.com
Sat Feb 15 23:56:41 UTC 2020

Hi co-chairs and community, please see in-line at the bottom...

Le mer. 12 févr. 2020 à 15:54, ABDULKARIM AYOPO OLOYEDE <
oloyede.aa at unilorin.edu.ng> a écrit :

> [...]

> might be affected by the revocation of AS0 VRP and how this will disappear

> from validator caches worldwide

> Author: Paschal Ochang

> Content:

> The perceived impacts will continue to be there until perhaps a staff

> impact analysis probably clears the air and this is one of the reasons I

> supported the staff impact analysis which was opposed by some. I also have

> some concerns regarding how timelines for revocations and new allocations

> might be affected by the revocation of AS0 VRP and how this will disappear

> from validator caches worldwide.

> 1. Objection point:

> - [ ] Government would take all the control of RPKI and hence unable to

> ensure users can use the Internet freely and legitimately.

> Author: Blaise Fyama

> Content:

> I do not support the RPKI ROAs for Unallocated and Unassigned Afrinic

> Address Space policy as it raises the concern about the control of

> internet; should we have to let the government take all control of RPKI and

> therefore representing a risk on how to make sure the use of Internet free

> and legitimate. I therefore object it on the the engagement of a free

> internet controlled by the community and its users.

> 1. Objection Point:

> - [ ] The proposal centralises the control of the internet to the

> government.

> Author: Kakel Mbumb

> Content:

> The proposal for RPKI is not applicable as it centralises the control of

> internet; and also represents a potential risk for government to overtake

> it.

> We are a community and need to be independent on the way we treat our

> resources.

> 1. Objection Point:

> - [ ] RPKI does not stop boon

> - [ ] it centralises the control of internet to the government

> Author: Kakel Mbumb

> Content:

> Hello all, i think RPKI asks for bogon but does not stop bogon and it shall

> not involve in routing issue. Do we really want it to centralise the

> control of the internet because it can present potential risk for

> government to overtake it.

> Regards..

> 1. Objection Point: same as above

> Author: Kakel Mbumb

> Content:

> Hello Jordi, what I mean is RPKI centralises the control of the Internet

> and allows AFRINIC to create ROAs for all unallocated and unassigned

> address space under its control. Only AFRINIC has the authority to create

> RPKI ROAs for address space not yet allocated or assigned to its members.

> This thus concentrates the control of the internet to AFRINIC.

> *We have also critically examined the response(s) from the authors and we

> still believe that this proposal requires more discussion on a number of

> the issue raised hence we are not yet recommending it for ratification. *

I was expecting the results of your examination of both objections and
⁃ why is objection relevant
⁃ Why authors responses do not address the objections
⁃ What need more discussion
The discussion points could then set the expectations for the further
discussions as you seem to recommend.
if we don’t follow this, we will once again end up in an endless dialogue.
That is what the cochairs job is about., but we are still at i/we believe”

> *We also understand that the community has a diverse voice on this

> proposal. However, Co-chairs want to emphasise the fact that we are human

> beings. If anyone finds some error in our decisions you are welcome to

> appeal it in line with the CPM.*

The PDP has provision for appeal as disagreement may happen and had
happened before... I dont see why you have to emphasize the fact that you
are “human beings”. Is there a hidden message?

*Disclaimer*
This message is not intended to influence the appeal process, but just to
help improve the PDP,

--
Arnaud