[rpd] Fwd: New Policies Implemented

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Feb 7 00:07:19 UTC 2020

> On Feb 6, 2020, at 14:47 , Sylvain Baya <abscoco at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,

> Please see my comments below, inline...

>> I’d like to propose an idea to the community.

>> I’d like to suggest that the staff build and maintain a bitbucket (GIT)

>> repository for versioning the CPM.

>> An example of what is possible is here:

>> https://bitbucket.org/arin-rir/number-resource-policy-manual/src/master/

>> ARIN staff (Specifically Sean Hopkins) did a great job of building a

>> repository containing all previous versions of the ARIN NRPM (our CPM

>> equivalent).

>> It’s proved to be an invaluable resource for policy development moving

>> forward and I think it would be useful to this community as well.

>> Thoughts?

> Dear Owen,

> Thank you very much for proposing the usage of a transparent

> revision system.

> ...i'm in full support to the idea.

> But, why not an internal instance of GitLab (say gitlab•afrinic.net <http://afrinic.net/>) ?

> #BigWhoIs ;-)

> For me, it means at least two things :

> •—/

> •1|- The PDWG could, get an easier way to contribute for a cleaner

> • CPM (Consilidated Policy Manual), at any time...

> •2|- The whole AFRINIC's “Internet” community could easily controle the

> • changes in database, if also applied to the AFRINIC's IRR (Internet

> • Routing Registry). For more transparency/integrity in the AFRINIC's

> • database management ?

> • ...yes ! a bit #OoT but :'-(

> • ...

> •—\

1. Not sure if GITLAB supports IPv6. I know that GITHUB does not. Bitbucket does.
2. Bitbucket is free, replicated globally, and performs quite well in my experience.
An internal instance of gitlab would require staff to maintain the infrastructure
and include the expense of adding it to a DR site.
3. Even if we were to somehow connect the IRR to some GIT instance, it would need
to be a separate repository with an entirely different set of ownership and access
controls, so I don’t see any benefit to platform integration between the two.
4. Bitbucket does allow (requires in fact) individual accounts and repository access
can be set up for global read-only access which allows forks and such. Policy
proposals could be developed using forks and then handled as a pull request
or by other means as staff decides.

> Further...

> •~| #OoT — more practical/operational |~•

> • Practically, the Staff accounts (at least two) which the rights to commit the

> proposed changes, MUST be personified accounts. So we know earlier who

> has commited a specific change.

That’s not difficult with bitbucket.

> • So no commit with the root-like accounts…

With bitbucket, not really any such thing as a “root-like” account, so no issue there.

Not sure what an @cactyl-like account is, not a familiar term, so can’t comment.

> • Before someone decides to do a bad thing, it would think twice :’-(

Not sure what this means or how gitlab differs from bitbucket in this area. I don’t see a meaningful distinction.

> • It might work for both (1) and (2).

If (1) and (2) are the CPM and the IRR, then I think that GIT is the wrong tool for (2) and I don’t have a strong religious preference for bitbucket vs. internal gitlab instance.

However, I will say that it should, IMHO, meet the following requirements:

1. Full functionality available over IPv6.
2. Ideally, also supports IPv4, but not a deal-breaker as far as I am concerned.
3. GIT-style version control
4. Side-by-side diff functionality in web interface.
5. Support for forking and pull requests.
6. Ability for any community member to autonomously create an account and get read/pull access to the repo.

Owen

> Correct me please ! ;-)

> Thanks.

> Shalom,