[rpd] AFRINIC Number Resources Transfer Policy

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun Nov 10 21:51:25 UTC 2019

> On Nov 10, 2019, at 10:51 , Chevalier du Borg <virtual.borg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Le dim. 10 nov. 2019 à 21:58, Jaco Kroon <jaco at uls.co.za <mailto:jaco at uls.co.za>> a écrit :

> Hi Chevalier.

> Please allow me to be blunt. That's short sighted.

> We cannot transfer IN from other regions unless we allow OUT.

> Agree 100%,

> Then you have no problems with wait till all RIRs are equal run out before we etablish full in and out transfer policy no?

> All the other RIRs require reciprocal *compatible* policies, which means bi-directional transfers.

> All RIRs don't all have equal amount of free space. Big difference

Depending on your definition here, 4 out of 5 have exactly equal amount == 0.

> Not allowing this means we can't get resources in either.

> While AfriNIC have free space, operators don't need it

> When it run out, then we can allow transfer policy

This isn’t entirely true.

It’s possible that an operator needs more than they can get via current AfriNIC policies due to “soft landing” limitations.

In such a case, said operator might prefer to transfer a large amount of space in even if they are paying for it on the market
rather than suffer with the small amount of space they can get from AfriNIC due to the current restrictions.

Is there a valid reason to preclude such a transfer which, in reality, prolongs the AfriNIC free pool to the benefit of other
organizations in Africa?