[rpd] AFRINIC Number Resources Transfer Policy

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun Nov 10 21:48:52 UTC 2019

> On Nov 10, 2019, at 10:46 , Chevalier du Borg <virtual.borg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Le dim. 10 nov. 2019 à 21:46, Daniel Yakmut <yakmutd at googlemail.com <mailto:yakmutd at googlemail.com>> a écrit :

> In the whole of these mix, can't we have the transfer of the resource to be temporal.

> For example I have a pool of ipv4 resources that I am not utilising at the moment, I should be able to lease it out for a period say 24months or more. And if I have a need for the resource later, I should be able to retrieve it back without going to the RIR for another allocation.

> Because the resources were give to you base on NEED. If you no longer need it, return it to AfriNIC and when you need it, go back for me.

I think you mean go back for more… This is an amusing idea.

In reality, someone who knows they will need in the future will never give up existing IPv4 because they know that:

1. They won’t be able to get more from the RIR in the future.
2. The transfer market will only get more expensive, especially in AfriNIC so long as inter-RIR transfers are not allowed.

Someone who doesn’t know whether they will need the addresses in the future has no motivation to return them in such
an environment. If there’s no upside to returning them, and clearly potential downside (when you need it go back for more
equates to “too bad, so sad, we already gave what you returned to someone else and there’s nothing left.), then the
obvious choice is to merely hang on to the resources whether you need them or not.

Like it or not, transfers stimulate and allow for the movement of addresses from those who have excess to those who are in need.

Do I wish we could avoid this whole monetization issue? Of course I do, but absent the ability to monetize, the reality is that those
holding excess resources simply have no reason whatsoever to give them up.