[rpd] New Policy Proposal Received - "IPv4 Inter-RIR Legacy Resource Transfers (Comprehensive Scope) AFPUB-2019-v4-002-DRAFT01"

Jaco Kroon jaco at uls.co.za
Mon Aug 19 09:57:18 UTC 2019

Hi,

I'm in full agreement with Mark on this.

I also agree with Jordi that we need safeguards in place to avoid abuse
of the policy.

Basically I believe that there was a rule about "if you transfer out
you're not eligible for further space" with a time limit.  Can't recall
the details, but basically my stance is, once you've transferred more
out that you've transferred in (only taking out of region transfers into
account) you're no longer eligible for receiving space from in-region
(by allocation or transfer).

Kind Regards,
Jaco Kroon
C.E.O.

*T:* +27 (0)12 021 0000 | *F:* +27 86 648 8561 | *E:* jaco at iewc.co.za
*W:* iewc.co.za <http://www.iewc.co.za/> | *A:* Unit 201, Building 2B,
Sunwood Park, Queen's Crescent Lynnwood, Pretoria

Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/Interexcel/> Twitter
<https://twitter.com/Interexcel/> Google+
<https://plus.google.com/+InterexcelCoZaPTA/posts> LinkedIn
<http://www.linkedin.com/com/images/ico-linkedin.jpg>

<http://www.iewc.co.za/> <http://www.uls.co.za/>

View Disclaimer <http://www.iewc.co.za/email-disclaimer/>

On 2019/08/19 11:49, Mark Elkins wrote:

> Hi Jordi,

> I fully support your transfer proposals..

> I agree that there are some fundamentalists out there but please don't

> let that stop you. Please keep the two proposals alive (the one for

> legacy transfers only - which if passed - will prove you are correct;

> and the other that covers non-legacy address space).

> If we don't have such transfer proposals - then growth will stagnate

> in our region. I don't want to see that. I want to see continued growth!

> On 2019/08/19 11:14, Mike Silber wrote:

>> Hi Jordi

>> While I support the proposal, I think it may be time to give up.

>> This has turned into a debate of “principles" and no facts or logic

>> will be allowed to get in its way.

>> Once we descend to this level - progress is impossible and the

>> fundamentalists have won.

>> Regards

>> Mike

>>> On 19 Aug 2019, at 08:49, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via RPD

>>> <rpd at afrinic.net <mailto:rpd at afrinic.net>> wrote:

>>> Fernando,

>>> Just look at numbers. Those are not hypothesis, but facts. The

>>> numbers show that the resources are going from the regions that have

>>> “more IPv4” and have deployed “more IPv6” to the other regions.

>>> There is no possible explanation why this will become different if

>>> Afrinic adopts and inter-RIR policy. Do you think ARIN suddently

>>> will stop deploying IPv6 and look for IPv4 addresses form Africa? No

>>> sense!

>>> Regards,

>>> Jordi

>>> @jordipalet

>>> El 17/8/19 18:44, "Fernando Frediani" <fhfrediani at gmail.com

>>> <mailto:fhfrediani at gmail.com>> escribió:

>>> Hi

>>> This is not about a "hypothesis" but rather a quiet obvious and

>>> logic thing to face. If Africa is the only region that still has

>>> space left for its members and the rest of the world is seeking for

>>> more IP space at lower cost it makes total sense for someone to

>>> think in trying to get IP space form this region and send them out

>>> to where is interesting to them if such proposal ever reach

>>> consensus. Luckily I don't think it will be the case given the

>>> number of oppositions raised and good points put against it.

>>> I think maybe you misunderstood some of what has been said and

>>> discussed about this topic but I will try to answer some of the

>>> points raised.

>>> This is not true. In the current phase an African member who needs

>>> IP space can just request, justify and will get the addresses

>>> needed. Just when it enters phase 2 it will still be possible to get

>>> (Source: https://www.afrinic.net/cpm-1-0#s5_4)

>>> I believe it is pretty much explained above, but lets go a bit more

>>> into it. Companies from other regions may find cheaper to open a

>>> "fake" or "virtual" company in Africa region to get addresses from

>>> here and afterwards request a transfer to another RIR where the

>>> address will really be used by them. The cost to buy a /24 or a /22

>>> in the market makes the economics pretty worth for fraudsters to do

>>> all necessary and bureaucratic work to open up and fake company in

>>> Africa in the attempt to get these addresses.

>>> I think maybe you misunderstand either what I said or how the RIR

>>> system works. When any organization becomes a RIR member and

>>> receives a block, it is obliged to use it according to the current

>>> rules, policies and behave according to the bylaws and the contract

>>> they signed and agreed. There are cases where violations on the

>>> policy or how the organization handle the IP space can get these

>>> resources revoked from the organization. This works like that on any

>>> RIR, not just in AfriNIC.

>>> Therefore if the current policies don't allow transfers "under the

>>> table" (quiet obvious) and if such wrong attitude and violation of

>>> the policy proved the resource holder doesn't have usage for that IP

>>> space it can be revoked by the RIR. Simple as that !

>>> I am not sure what you are trying to say with that.

>>> When an organization cannot get **any more address** (therefore only

>>> after phase 2 is finished- a while from now) it means it still has

>>> address to use or re-used for different and more efficient proposed

>>> as transition mechanisms and until that happens the dependency on

>>> IPv4 will be lower than it is now a days. Still on such scenarios

>>> there are still alternatives as for example the mentioned in the

>>> revered under section 5.4.7.1 for new entrants and for IPv6

>>> transition mechanisms as it exists in other RIRs.

>>> At that point maybe will be a better time to discuss a Inter-RIR

>>> transfer policy again with much less risk that addresses will be

>>> looted from the region.

>>> Explained above about the economics that make it worth for fraudster

>>> to come to the region, establish a company to get addresses and then

>>> request the transfer out of the region. This is not just a point of

>>> view, but pretty much an easy mathematics question.

>>> Said that, I am unable to see **any benefit** such proposal bring to

>>> African region at the current scenario. Instead it only bring risks

>>> (in the current Phase 1 even higher risks) and maybe the only

>>> beneficiaries to this policy will be the IP transfer companies and

>>> as far as I know it's not the mission of any RIR to create policies

>>> to benefit such entities.

>>> Fernando

>>> http://www.theipv6company.com <http://www.theipv6company.com/>