[rpd] inputs on IPv4 Inter-RIR policy proposals

Lee Howard lee.howard at retevia.net
Fri Jul 26 17:48:15 UTC 2019

On 7/25/19 8:01 PM, Marcus K. G. Adomey wrote:

> Hi Owen,

> A defined state of balance or imbalance between systems, irrespective

> of  the metrics used to measure, would consider  the states at start

> and the expected states at the end.

> If the ratio of space transferred in and out is the metric used to

> define imbalance and its severity, then the amount of space managed by

> AFRINIC compared to other RIRs before the transfer starts would  count.

> With the current imbalance, would  you  define balance as;

What current imbalance? Neither Afrinic nor any other RIR has a policy
allowing IP addresses to be transferred in or out of Africa. Current
state is 0 in, 0 out.

You could start with the number of addresses allocated pre-Afrinic, by
ARIN and RIPE, to African networks, but I don't see the point.

If an inter-RIR transfer policy is approved, with a control mechanism,
then each day, week, or month, Afrinic would report the number of
addresses it has registered as transfers from another RIR, and the
number of addresses to another RIR. If transfers From ever exceeds
transfers To, then addresses are flowing out.

Lee