[rpd] inputs on IPv4 Inter-RIR policy proposals

Arnaud AMELINA amelnaud at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 21:18:43 UTC 2019

Hi Community, hi Lee please read inline

Le ven. 26 juil. 2019 à 17:50, Lee Howard <lee.howard at retevia.net> a écrit :

> On 7/25/19 8:01 PM, Marcus K. G. Adomey wrote:

> Hi Owen,

> A defined state of balance or imbalance between systems, irrespective of

> the metrics used to measure, would consider the states at start and the

> expected states at the end.

> If the ratio of space transferred in and out is the metric used to define

> imbalance and its severity, then the amount of space managed by AFRINIC

> compared to other RIRs before the transfer starts would count.

> With the current imbalance, would you define balance as;

> What current imbalance?

The one inherited from the pre-RIR and RIR system distribution, which
created " the donor" who impose reciprocity and compatibility to
"receivers" for transfers. The imbalance which makes some think,
transfers should be more toward those who have less in particular AFRICA.

> Neither Afrinic nor any other RIR has a policy allowing IP addresses to be

> transferred in or out of Africa. Current state is 0 in, 0 out.

> You could start with the number of addresses allocated pre-Afrinic, by

> ARIN and RIPE, to African networks, but I don't see the point.

> If an inter-RIR transfer policy is approved, with a control mechanism,

> then each day, week, or month, Afrinic would report the number of addresses

> it has registered as transfers from another RIR, and the number of

> addresses to another RIR. If transfers From ever exceeds transfers To, then

> addresses are flowing out.

These stats and the ratios Afrinic vs others will be moving targets
changing over time. When would it be considered too imbalance ? What
would be the recovery plan be after the board halt the transfer policy?

One could also think of board halting the transfer policy at a point where
transfers ratios are well in favor of AFRINiC

Would any of the controlled transfer policies meet the reciprocity and
compatibility rules ?

> Lee

Arnaud