[rpd] inputs on IPv4 Inter-RIR policy proposals

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Sun Jul 14 09:32:17 UTC 2019

Hi Ish,

In all the RIRs there is such board prerogative to halt any policy.

If I recall correctly, it just happened in ARIN a few months ago regarding a waiting list. I don't recall any other case, and this is actually not something needed in the policy text (is already in the bylaws), but I want to bring it just to make sure the community feels "safer".

The other point that you mention, is not covered already with the same point that I'm proposing to add:
4. The staff can provisionally suspend any suspicious operation that creates a big unbalance against AFRINIC, until the board takes a decision.

So, we don't need to wait for the board decision, the staff will able to suspend any suspicious operation. Then the board decides if this suspension is maintained for that operation, or something different should be done (even halting the policy).

Regards,
Jordi
@jordipalet

El 14/7/19 9:09, "Ish Sookun" <ish.sookun at lasentinelle.mu> escribió:

Hi Lee,

On 7/13/19 11:53 PM, Lee Howard wrote:
> While I think this is a good idea, I think the idea that the Board could
> halt the inter-RIR transfer if it's too imbalanced makes more sense.

The Board intervention sounds more "feasible" than having a complex
three-party contract where the risk for the lessee is higher.

However, the idea I tossed earlier in this thread was to introduce a
mechanism that could prevent the moving out of IPv4 addresses en masse,
rather than having to rely on Board's intervention. Having a cap on the
amount of resources per transfer and limiting the period of transfer
could help.

Do we have any precedent of the Board's intervention in such a case?

Regards,

Ish Sookun