[rpd] inputs on IPv4 Inter-RIR policy proposals

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Sat Jul 13 11:11:22 UTC 2019

Hi Souad,

I think you’re missing several points:
ARIN got the higher number of legacy resources vs other regions (slide 10) and very close to APNIC and RIPE in terms of non-legacy (slide 11). So, they are able to release more IPv4 addresses.
ARIN has a big penetration of IPv6 and going up (https://www.worldipv6launch.org/measurements/). You can see there that the bigger broadband and cellular US/Canada ISPs (Comcast, Charter, ATT, Verizon, T-Mobile, Cox, Sprint, Rogers, Telus, Google fiber…), already have more than 50% deployment, in some cases 70 and even 94% ! So, they are able to keep releasing more IPv4 addresses. You can see in that figure that big deployments in Europe (Free, DT, BT, Sky, Orange, OTE, Telenet, RCS&RDS, Belgacom, etc.), keep increasing. Same in AP (India, South Korea, Japan, China, Vietnam, Taiwan, Malaysia, etc.). Some also in LAC (Telmex, Claro Brasil, Vivo, Telecentro, Antel, etc) and going up. The list goes on and on everywhere, except in Africa.
ARIN has been, consistently, every quarter, the major donor of addresses to the other regions (slides 12 to 16).
ARIN policy (same as in LACNIC and APNIC), “converts”, by means of transfers, legacy space into non-legacy, which is good for all (being non-legacy it means policies fully apply to those addresses), because brings to the RIR system lots of addresses that where not used, or companies who got them didn’t longer exist, etc. (slide 17).

(please see my presentation slides, video, etc., https://www.internetsummit.africa/components/com_afmeeting/speakers/3283/3-Jordi-AFPUB-2019-v4-001-002.pdf, https://www.internetsummit.africa/en/agenda/video-day-3)

I’m just considering ARIN here because is the bigger donor of addresses (right now) to other regions, but of course, you can make the same rational when the other regions keep increasing the IPv6 deployment level.

If AFRINIC “enters” in the inter-RIR transfers “system” that we have now in the other 4 regions, this is the outcome, IF and ONLY IF, we have a reciprocal policy (at least for some regions, and specially ARIN):
AFRINIC will be able to get addresses from ARIN and other regions.
When the other regions increase their level of IPv6 deployment, they will become “natural” donors from many of the addresses that they got from ARIN. Of course, the speed of this will be different from region to region.
At the end of the history, when AFRINIC has a very good IPv6 deployment penetration, the need for IPv4 addresses and the “value”, will start decreasing.

Nobody has the crystal ball, that’s clear, but historical data reflects reality and trends.

Why this is going to be different if AFRINIC comes into the “inter-RIR” system?

Now, all that said, I fully understand the “fear to the unknown” and that the community want to have some kind of protection, in the very strange case, that this time, the trends change suddenly what the historical data tells up to now.

This is why my proposal is:
Amend the policy proposal with the point raised by the staff, which hopefully I can see in the impact analysis soon.
Amend the policy proposal with other comments received during the presentation and the list discussion.
Include as a “security belt” the measures that we discussed in the list discussion:
1.       Each time a transfer is completed, the relevant, non-confidential information will be automatically published in a specific web page, including at least: Date of the transfer, transferred addresses, source organization and RIR, destination organization and RIR.

2.       The Inter-RIR transfers will only be enabled once AFRINIC enter into Exhaustion Phase 2 (5.4.3.2).

3.       The Inter-RIR transfers will be automatically suspended in case the number of outgoing IPv4 addresses exceeds the incoming ones by six consecutive months.

4.       The staff can provisionally suspend any suspicious operation that creates a big unbalance against AFRINIC, until the board takes a decision.

This provides: transparency to the transfers, timeline to start, an automatic check month to month and “insurance of risk” at month 6 after implementation and then every next month, a further check of any suspicious operation that can be suspended by the staff so the board can decide about it or tell the community “this or that is happening, should we do something, should we definitively cancel the policy, etc.”.

If somebody thinks this is not enough, please, explain why and propose an alternative solution.

Regards,

Jordi

@jordipalet